STUPID BCS article

1/5/2011 12:39:33 PM
img
1/5/2011 12:39:33 PM Report Abuse

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5984364

I'm tired of hearing schools like TCU and Boise State should play for the championship. HECK NO! SO what they beat Wisconsin. Last I checked Wisconsin played AT Michigan St. AT Michigan AT Iowa and Ohio State. TCU played who?? You play against that type of competition week in and week out compared to playing teams like Colorado St. and SMU??? get out of here. I put money on TCU just because I knew they had a MUCH easier route to the Rose Bowl then Wisconsin. Give Minnesota or Indiana (two not so good teams in the Big Ten) TCU's record they would be a pretty decent football program too.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
urbanicon
1/5/2011 1:29:05 PM Report Abuse

i guess you are right that giving Minnesota or Indiana TCU's undefeated record would make them good football teams, but other than that really just a retarded post top to bottom.

GilbertArenas
1/5/2011 1:45:08 PM Report Abuse

yeah the bcs should definitely stay the exact way that it is and never change. let me guess, go buckeyes?

MIlitaryRD
1/5/2011 1:46:29 PM Report Abuse

IMG are you a Big Ten Fan?

And If So, Do you really have room to Talk?

FrankCurry
1/5/2011 1:59:33 PM Report Abuse

The whole point of a playoff is so that you can determine if teams are better than their schedule shows, or played an easy schedule.  Look at march madness.  Teams from small conferences have a chance to show their stuff against the big boys, while teams that got beat up during the regular season because their conference is nasty get a chance to prove that they are a good team.  At least a limited playoff in the BCS system would be great, silence all the distention over who is national champ.  You could still have all the other bowl games, or use them as part of the playoff

Cadet04
1/5/2011 2:33:01 PM Report Abuse

God, that Duke-Michigan State National Championship game was so great last year, Kalin Lucas missing that half court shot at the end of the game was so close.

Oh wait...

MIlitaryRD
1/5/2011 3:10:22 PM Report Abuse

Does Anybody actually believe that the better team always wins?

datrackstar
1/5/2011 3:22:43 PM Report Abuse

basically its the team that plays better in its respective game. if the better always won, then there wouldnt be upsets n all. either way, the college post-season is never gonna be perfect cause its not like basketball were players can afford to play multiple games in a short period of time so the playoff system might not work then people are gonna argue that teams like boise n tcu either deserve to play in a national championship game like everybody else or dont because their schedule is too easy

img
1/5/2011 6:35:44 PM Report Abuse

Im not a BIG TEN or Ohio State fan AT ALL. Im a former athlete and know what it feels like to play in two different conferences. One major and one NOT so major. ITS A BIG difference

4Loveofthegame
1/5/2011 6:37:01 PM Report Abuse

The only way to ever solve this is a playoff but until then, if a non AQ school like TCU or Boise St. runs the table while beating a big time school like VA Tech, or Oregon AND passes the eye test then they should have a chance to play for a title.  Boise and TCU are better than EVERY team in the ACC and Big East for sure and are probably better than every team in the Big 10 and Big 12.  This year it did not matter because two very good teams from the SEC and Pac 10 went undefeated.  It is too bad Boise's kicker blew that game because they were very good.  They beat a similar Oregon team last year and TCU while beating Tech, Oregon St., and Utah this year. 

UnitedSkins
1/5/2011 7:17:00 PM Report Abuse

There is no way to solve the controversy surrounding the college football bowl season. If a playoff were to happen, the only way to avoid controversy in that playoff would be to expand it to include the winners of every conference plus some at large teams like what happens in college basketball. That way, everyone who could possibly claim to deserve a shot at the National Championship would be included in the tournament. The problem is that football doesn't work the way basketball does. A team can't play 3 football games a week. The only solution that will make every school happy would be one that would drag the college football season well into February. Thanks, but no thanks. January and February should be time for the NFL playoffs. I don't like the BCS, but an 8 or 16 team playoff would create as much if not more controversy than the BCS, and any more teams than that would just take too damn long. It's bad enough the way that the bowl games are stretched out now to squeeze every last cent out of the college football season.

arbladen15
1/6/2011 1:10:08 AM Report Abuse

you counter your own argument and how would a 16 team bracket create more controversy? With the current bowl system college football is already dragged out 4 to 5 extra weeks for space in between bowl games(something that never really made sense to me, teams taking a 5 week break in between their games). If there were an 8 team playoff bracket that would only take 3 weeks to complete, or a 16 team bracket 4 weeks. The chapmionship would end right around the same time...Some would say well there are final exams but lets be honest does the NCAA really care about academics over money...hell no. And besides the athletes could just take their exams after their breaks.

Such a bracket could incude the major bowl game names in the final rounds (Orange, fiesta bowl, sugar bowl names for the semi's and rose bowl for the championship or even have them all four rotate every year) and still allow for the minor bowl games to be played by teams who didnt make the bracket. This would mke so much more money for the ncaa and still keep the sponsors happy. Plus it makes so much sense its ridiculous.

and for those who say football is different then basketball, then why does the NFL have a single elimintaion playoff system as well as every state high school league in the nation...

arbladen15
1/6/2011 1:10:43 AM Report Abuse

united skins i mean

arbladen15
1/6/2011 1:17:58 AM Report Abuse

to decide who the 16 teams would be take the champ from the 6 bcs conferences, and the other 10 the highest ranked teams that weren't aq champs...leaving room for at large schools as well as good teams who happened to not win their conference

arbladen15
1/6/2011 1:19:42 AM Report Abuse

and img you are an idot how can you say tcu didnt deserve to be in the rose bowl after they stomped on wisconsin...they belonged in that game just as much as the major bowl teams and 20 times more so then tech and uconn

img
1/6/2011 7:30:15 AM Report Abuse

arbladen15 who did TCU beat during the season to DESERVE a rose bowl bid??........i'll wait. Even Uconn had tougher competition on their schedule they played Pitt who i would pick beating Colorado State who TCU played.

And DCSPORTSFAN members grow up. Calling people an idiot?? respect all opinions. smh  

MIlitaryRD
1/6/2011 10:08:12 AM Report Abuse

IMG-

I will Not Respect your Opinion because your opinion is Crap. You are Not A former College Athlete in anything but ping pong. I'm sick of your Crap Argument and I will not sit here and let you spout of the ridiculous amount of human Excrement that is coming out of your mouth.

TCU deserved to be in the Rose Bowl. Beat Wisconsin, who was a co-co-Big Ten Champion. And that is the BCS's fault? No it isn't. It isn't at all. Who did TCU beat to Deserve a Rose Bowl bid? EVERYONE THEY PLAYED.

Who did Wisconsin Beat? Ohio State? the Same Ohio State Team that the NCAA, not the BCS, allowed five players that should be deemed ineligible all season long to play in the Sugar Bowl? That Crap team?

Your argument is Flawed, Your logic is non-existent. I don't care what "Level" you were at. You make it sound like TCU is JV compared to Everyone elses varsity. The Only time JV beats Varsity is in Mighty Ducks III. The Better Team, Better Coached team, and better prepared for the biggest game of its history won the Rose Bowl. Period.

img
1/6/2011 12:29:58 PM Report Abuse

MilitaryRd if thats your opinion ok mine wont change. Thanks for your comment though. TCU played NOBODY dont deserve to be in the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin played GREAT teams deserved to be there. It wont change lol sorry but dont waste your time trying to change my mind. But i do RESPECT your opinion we all have a right to one and if thats how you feel great.

UnitedSkins
1/6/2011 12:57:34 PM Report Abuse

How football is different than basketball: The NFL Playoffs are exclusive to the best of the best. 6 teams from each conference. It's also completely objective, it is based on record and record alone. In high school, structure varies, but generally includes just about everyone who might potentially be good enough to win a state championship. If they were to set up a tournament in college, there would be 8 maybe 16 teams. Can you imagine the shitstorm that would ensue over figuring out who the 16 best teams are and who has earned a spot in the tournament? The second and third place team of every big conference would raise hell over the fact that they could have run the table in the WAC or Conference USA and deserve the spot in the tournament over the TCUs, Boise States, and Nevadas of the world. If the system benefited those teams, then neglected small conference teams would raise hell just like they are now. It wouldn't change anything. There would still be controversy, and there would still be incessent bitching from every school that's ever won a big game over how they deserve a shot at the title/spot in the tournament. You hear some of that in basketball, but no one cares because there's 64 teams, and who really thought St. Mary's had a shot at the National Championship last year?

Why not to make BCS games the Quarter-Finals or Semi-Finals: Those games all have an incredible amount of history behind them. The NCAA isn't going to reduce them to foreplay, nor should they.

This year is very different from year's past. This isn't #1 USC getting snubbed from the National title. This isn't #4 Nebraska being in the National Championship. This isn't two-loss LSU being in the National Championship. This is a situation where the college football season produced three undefeated teams: Oregon, Auburn, and TCU. Unfortunately for TCU, the histories of Oregon and Auburn have landed them in conferences of higher profile and as such they played a harder schedule. It makes perfect sense that the National Championship be played between those two teams.

img
1/6/2011 1:43:49 PM Report Abuse

UnitedSkins I definitely respect that. That makes sense.

MIlitaryRD
1/6/2011 1:06:16 PM Report Abuse

So if Wisconsin Was a Great team... And played Great Teams... And TCU Didn't Play anybody... What Does that make Wisconsin? Nobody?

Oh I get it, Someone's a little bitter.

You have to have a Mind in order for me to change your mind. and it's not an opinion.

FACTS state TCU is Undefeated, Rose Bowl Champion, And Beat the GREAT Wisconsin.

Another Fact is your argument is Shallow and in some respects, nonexistent.

img
1/6/2011 1:36:12 PM Report Abuse

MilitaryRD OK your right lil man. ay DCSPORTSFAN i was wrong. lol (thats what you want me to say right?) 

O and to answer your question it makes Wisconsin a great team, who played a more demanding schedule. (been saying that since the 1st post)

img
1/6/2011 1:40:38 PM Report Abuse

"You have to have a Mind in order for me to change your mind. and it's not an opinion."

LOL this lil guy just said its not an opinion.... so what is it? you beleive one thing is fact i beleive another thing is fact so be it. Relax everything will be OK

Mamba
1/5/2011 7:26:47 PM Report Abuse

There will never be an FBS playoff until the major Bowls figure out how it will enhance revenue...for them. Anytime the Sugar Bowl can dictate the policies of the NCAA regarding player eligibility, as it did with the Ohio 5, we should all know who's calling the shots on everything Bowl related. And I dare any POTUS to poke his political head into their tent cause these boys are playing hardball.

TCU and Boise - good season. Do it another three times in a row and you might get your shot. But who said its about who's best and not about who generates the most revenue potential. 

demathanum3
1/5/2011 7:48:46 PM Report Abuse

NO PLAYOFF AND NO BCS... college football needs to go back to the way it used to be. the orange, sugar, cotton and rose bowl all on new years day with each team having a chance to be the national champion based on how they do. it was way more exciting back then because you didnt know who was going to be national champion, now its just between two teams

KingFelix34
1/5/2011 10:21:56 PM Report Abuse

img you say that you thought TCU would win the Rose Bowl because they had an easier schedule?  So what?   What does that have to do with anything?  Are you telling me that Wisconsin was worn out despite the fact that the Rose Bowl was played 6 weeks after the season ended?  Get a clue.

img
1/6/2011 7:26:22 AM Report Abuse

KingFelix34 trust me i have a clue. Ok so Wisconsin has 6 weeks after the season ended. TCU played NOBODY they pretty much had since the beginning of the season to prepare for this game. ALLLL of their games in my eyes were warm up games. Other then MAYBE Utah they had NO challenge on their schedule. SO yes it has EVERYTHING to do with the competition you play during the season. [Get a clue] TRUST me i've been in BOTH positions. I know what it feels like to play 5 star competition week in and week out and what it feels like to play 3 star competition week in and week out.

cval
1/6/2011 2:08:56 PM Report Abuse

I always had this idea that at the end of the season, after the league championships are done, you have one week when every team in contention plays in a match-up game chosen by college football analysts.  This way, you can pit a TCU against say the second place SEC team and Boise against the second place Big 12 team and give them a chance to prove they belong.  Also you can give the number one PAC 10 team a game against the number 2 ACC school and give the number 1 ACC team a test against like the number 3 SEC school.  Give everyone who complains one last chance to prove their worth and for the teams on top, just give them another chance to prove that they belong there.  It would change every year but it would just give each team that wouldnt normally get a chance that one last shot at the big win they need, like TCU got over Wisconsin, and it would also give the Auburns and Oregons of this year a chance to lose it all, just like they would have in a playoff.  I figure theres a long enough wait from the end of the season to when the bowl games start so I don't see why each team can't eliminate the bullshit 1-AA or an out of conference games and use this as a way to give each team that needs one its own little semi-final.

heish172
1/6/2011 5:50:18 PM Report Abuse

The Big Ten does not have any GREAT teams. Ohio State and Wisconsin are very good. Those two along with Mich State just beat up on the rest of the Big Ten which is probably the equivilant of the big east this year. Purdue, Indiana, and Minn are terrible. Northwestern is decent and Mich had offense thats it. Iowa is the same team every year...highly ranked and do nothing. TCU's schedule isn't great but they beat Ore state and Baylor out of conference (decent teams) If you want to look at common opponents Wisconson went to UNLV and won 41-21. TCU went to UNLV and won 48-6. Also...they beat Wisconson and looked good doing it.

Teams like Boise State and TCU have been trying to schedule big time schools for 5-8 years. The "big boys" refuse to play them...nothing they can do about it. TCU can play with anybody as can Boise State.

KingFelix34
1/6/2011 8:28:18 PM Report Abuse

So IMG you are saying you put money on a team that had no business being in the game to beat a supposedly great team in Wisconsin?  So what you're saying is that any team can beat a great team if they don't play good teams during the regular season.  Once again, I question this logic.  Wisconsin had 6 weeks to rest up from their "brutal" Big 10 schedule, so there should be exactly 0 excuses for why they didn't win the game.  You act like TCU had been preparing for Wisconsin all year, which is not possible considering that the Bowl match-ups didn't come until the end of the season.  Both teams had 6 weeks to prepare for the game.  Therefore if TCU was such an inferior opponent to the great Wisconsin, then they should have gotten blown off the field.  The end result?  21-19 TCU.  So once again, I ask you to get a clue.

KingFelix34
1/6/2011 8:42:54 PM Report Abuse

Also, did you even read the article?  The writer thinks that TCU should be able to contend for a National Title having gone undefeated.  He didn't say they should take the place of Oregon or Auburn.  The article is discussing the flaw in the system and the writer like many people want to see a playoff system in college football.  His point was that if an undefeated team that has proven that in can hang with the big boys can't have the opportunity to contend for the National Championship then the system sucks.  Tell me how he is wrong.

img
1/6/2011 10:45:39 PM Report Abuse

KingFelix34 If you dont understand my logic then you just dont understand it. Everything aint for you to understand. You keep talking about get a clue and all this other bull. Guess what my opinion and logic WILL NOT change DONT waste any more of your time trying. 

MIlitaryRD
1/7/2011 11:34:18 AM Report Abuse

Do me a Favor. Speak English and take it easy on the thug life wannabe talk. You sound like an ass pimple. Don't waste our time posting Crap.

img
1/7/2011 12:02:34 PM Report Abuse

be careful young boy how you talk to people. you never know who you might be talking to.

MIlitaryRD
1/7/2011 12:33:13 PM Report Abuse

Be careful Old Man Who you Talk to... You never know Who you might be Speaking to either.

img
1/7/2011 12:53:10 PM Report Abuse

talk as much shyt as you want over the internet never has and never will phase me. Half the stuff coming out your mouth Im sure you couldnt say in person. Especially not to me. Have a nice day and may God bless you. I ray you and your family have a wonderful new year.

My apologies DCSPORTSFAN for going back and forth on here. Real immature on my part.

MIlitaryRD
1/7/2011 1:37:44 PM Report Abuse

Bringing God into an Argument about Sports won't save you tool bag. I would say everything I have said to you on here to your face. 've said it to more important people than you and Took the consequences for it. I'd love to hear you tell the TCU o-line they didn't deserve to be in the Rose Bowl. Get outta town. You sound like a Little punk.

img
1/7/2011 1:46:20 PM Report Abuse

and your still talking because......????

MrSports
1/7/2011 1:51:57 PM Report Abuse

MilitaryRd you have GOT to be the DUMBEST person on here. smh just STOP talking. STOP posting. just STOP.  So what you feel a different way on the subject matter OK CONGRATULATIONS. Have some RESPECT

arbladen15
1/7/2011 1:58:31 PM Report Abuse

United skins the bowl games all already reduced to foreplay, the games don't mean anything, who gives a crap that stanford whooped on tech and tcu beat wisconson. It doesnt mean anything because now the season is over. Having the games rotate would be about the same as it is now, and i'm pretty sure more people would watch a game between stanford and tech or ohio state-arkansas and uconn-oklahoma if i had implications in a playoff like atmosphere. Honestly who really cares about the bowl games besides the actual fans of these teams...? The only reason the bowl system stays is because it gives coaches something to brag about when they didnt win the actual championship. And ranking 16 teams is less objective than ranking who gets to play in the antional championship but your always going to anger teams with a poll and the current system has more contreversy and doesn't really prove anything.

MIlitaryRD
1/7/2011 3:16:45 PM Report Abuse

Awww I got the big bad former star athlete to create a new account on the SAME day as i bash him to say something to me. You are a detriment to this conversation. See yourself out of here.

New Comment

You must confirm your email to post in the forums.
You must login to report abuse. Close