default avatar

Re: Carroll Basketball

2/6/2017 10:27:44 AM
@brown

yea, something not right over there..   but looking at these scores, I will have to say this is more on thecoaching (in basketball). yes, talent is most important but that can take u so far.   that is where coaches come in and put players in "position" 2 sucseed..

there is no way carroll should be losing 80 - 20!!   if the score is 80 - 65, thats more resonable....

Ima say it here first, carroll needs to take a look at vaughn jones!!

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Re: Carroll Basketball

2/11/2017 1:37:02 PM
@macanthony1982

Where is Jones coaching now?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Carroll Basketball

2/11/2017 8:04:02 PM
@NewDC_Jon

nowhere right now, i believe...

he was currently banned from coaching in DCIAA even after he proved to do no wrongdoing....  but i think carroll would be a great spot for him...    turn carroll around...  now that DC has that "state champoinship playoffs" (DCSAA) would bring back much needed publicity back at carroll, of couse thats if they start winning again

default avatar

2/5/2017 11:50:42 AM
@brown

Carroll is an easy target to criticize these days. But the answer is obvious but the reason is not openly stated. The answer lies in the facts:

The school does not have the money to compete with the other schools in it's league

The schools facilities are worse than almost all of the public schools in DC let alone other WCAC schools

When kids are successful their far too often they leave.....if they have another option. Many of the kids that do stay have left other schools for various reasons.

There is not a solid JV or freshman program to develop talent due to lack of funds and numbers

School student population is down

Overall neglect of the school by the Catholic church and no alumni support has caught up with the school.

Now that some of the facts are stated the question is WHY has this happened? I am not an insider but looking from the outside in it appears the main reason is...well let's just say the demographics of the school have changed over the years. Easy to complain about leadership and perhaps there is some just cause to here. However, no one can compete if the field is not level. In a period where GC, DM, GZ and now SJC are run like...and more importantly funded as...college sports programs Carrol does not stand a chance in it's current state. One reason I am in favor of blowing up the WCAC and going with a two tiered approach. This will save the conferenca and Carroll. The question is....does Carroll now matter enough to the powers that be?

default avatar

2/6/2017 9:26:17 AM
@smdeagles

More or less agree with all of that. The problem at Carroll is pretty clear and its that the archdiocese of washington doesn't really care. They have let a school that was once the flagship of their area high schools be completely forgotten and negelected and I don't think its any secret as to why. Gonzaga has the benefit of being independant from the archdiocese and having a pretty huge and consistent donor field. SJC DM and GC enjoy very strong donor pools as well. I am not familiar with the NOVA schools and BMAC... but regardless, Carroll will rebound eventually. The only question is, how long till the archdiocese actually cares? There are some fantastic educators over there, but its harder and harder to stay when you know the people running the show don't care about you.

2/6/2017 10:52:10 AM
@smdeagles

Agree on the two tiered WCAC...here here!

However, it is hard to blame the Archdiocese for a lack of support, when the only reason that ABC is still open is due to the ADW funding and DC School vouchers.  It is very hard to run a Diocesan High school - especially when no one from the Diocese goes there.  The four Arlington Diocesan Catholic schools are subsidized by the diocese, but all have decent to good enrollment numbers and decent alumni donations (no where near as good as the Gonzaga and STJ's, for a variety of reasons).  When the Diocese opened SJPG in Dumphries, their calculation was that they needed 700-800 students for finacial solvency, and that is still with the diocese subsidzing them and donations.  Carroll has what, 300-400 students?  Numbers wise, that is a very hard number to sustain a school with at a Diocesan tuition level.  The small private schools that are successful have tuitions in the 20k and higher range.  Carroll raising its tuition that high is not going to achieve any results.

What most Catholic Dioceses around the country have realized is that with the skyrocketing cost of education, the lack of consecrated religious to teach, lower enrollments, and lower donations to the Church in general, is that they need to lean on the lay Church to help run the schools.  Giving people buy in and ownership is crucial to keeping these organizations going.

That being said, Carroll needs a big push by its Alumni and community, with some more support from the Diocese.  Also, CUA is right around the block - there should be a deep partnership with CUA.  CUA students and grad students could help teach, CUA athletes and coaches could sponsor and develop corressponding sports, ABC students should be able to take college courses at CUA.....you get the picture.  This would make ABC a unique offering and I cannot fathom why there is not a robust partnership.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Carroll Basketball

2/6/2017 1:48:28 PM
@FrankCurry

You make a lot of really good and constructive points.

I have a hard time laying all of the blame on ADW.  Dont get me wrong - they dont get a hall pass by any stretch. They haven't taken an active role (it appears) in running the place and they support it financially to the extent to keep the doors open and serve some version of a mission.  But that's about it.  It's a Band-Aid operation.  What needs to happen is the alumni need to "own it" in terms of support if they ever hope to be anything but a box checked for the ADW.  Think what the place would be today if they had just one alum along the lines of Plank who just decided to step up. Of course, SJC had several at the same time step up.  But that is a different story.  I would imagine that, like most things ADW, when/if someone steps up, they will get hamstrung with the conditions of what they are "allowed" to do by the ADW.   The potential CU tie in is just too obvious to miss.  Granted, the Vatican controls CU - not the ADW.  But still, there is a wasted symbiotic opportunity there. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carroll Basketball

2/6/2017 4:28:15 PM
@Falcon83

There is a great deal of involvment with CUA. Not as much as there should be, though, and I think both schools could benefit from greater collaboration. The problem, however, is that CUA, especially as of late, is only concerned with CUA...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carroll Basketball

2/8/2017 7:06:15 AM
@Falcon83

Well, the Vatican controls CUA through its Charter, but it is actually funded and governed by the US Conference of Bishops (through board, president, on down) - of which the ADW is a part, as they have a Bishop.  ADW should lobby hard on ABC's behalf to get a strong, visible partnership going with CUA. 

Agreed that more can and should be done, by multiple parties.

default avatar

Re: Carroll Basketball

2/11/2017 11:54:30 AM

The reasons for Carroll's current situation are many, and have been addressed in depth in prior posts.   No need to go over that again in this post. Last night I, along with what appeared to be about 50 friends and family scattered around the gym, attended their home game with Bishop Ireton.   As an alum, its always good to see how the old school team is holding up.  

What does a winless (0-21) team look like?   They start a 6'11" player who went scoreless in the first half against a fair BI team who started no one over 6'3 and was without their best player due to illness.   They committed three backcourt violations in the first quarter alone against a team that was not pressing full court.   Players looked clueless and played with no confidence.   They end up losing by 26 in a game that was never competitive.   BI, as usual, played hard and that was more than enough last night.  One Carroll player jawed with an assistant coach on the bench after being pulled in the first quarter and put on his warm up for the rest of the half.   

Just about the same time as the boys were finishing up, the Carroll girls were posting a 73-43 loss to BI in Alexandria.        

2/11/2017 1:17:27 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

Way to work Cards!

for ABC, that stinks - looks like poor coaching, which should be avoidable and kills the kids spirit.

default avatar

2/11/2017 1:33:58 PM
@FrankCurry

Ive heard nothing but good things about Fudd as a coach and his resume (both in the DC area in HS and at the college level) says otherwise. That said, I haven't been to an ABC guys hoops game in a while, so I wouldn't mind hearing a first-person perspecitve. Every I know says he is a vast improvent over Reggie Williams, but everyone also says a runny dump is a vast improvement over Reggie Williams, so that might not be too much of a compliment. 

default avatar

2/11/2017 8:05:00 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

yea, something not right over there..   but looking at these scores, I will have to say this is more on thecoaching (in basketball). yes, talent is most important but that can take u so far.   that is where coaches come in and put players in "position" 2 sucseed..

there is no way carroll should be losing 80 - 20!!   if the score is 80 - 65, thats more resonable....

You must login to report abuse. Close