>>

Plank and Trump

>>
View:
Sort:
default avatar

Plank and Trump

2/8/2017 9:38:31 PM

Plank is clearly a very smart guy. But I wonder if he has completely thought through what his outward, vocal support of President Trump could do to his national brand? Many of the folk that buy his stuff don't feel the same way. He is entitled to his opinion but he may want to think through going to bat for the President.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Plank and Trump

2/8/2017 10:29:17 PM
@smdeagles

Why , he is our President . Why wouldn't an American citizen not support our country's President . We can all disagree with policies of a President but he still deserves our support . I f you buy his brand I would think you buy it because it's a good product not because of what the manufacturer 's political views are . Bottom line , you can buy what you want , if you are shallow enough to make a decision based on someone 's political views , so be it . I guess Plank is willing to express his opinions regardless of other people's thoughts . I don't like St. John's and what he is doing over there but that doesn't stop me from buying UA gear because it's a good product . God Bless America ! 

default avatar

Re: Re: Plank and Trump

2/8/2017 11:56:33 PM
@goeagles

I agree with most of your comments. I'm not talking what is right -vs- what is wrong and clearly stated that I believe he has every right to take any political stand he wishes.  However, let's not be naive...whether you agree with the President or not you have to admit he is polarizing. My point is many of the folk that buy Planks stuff are on the other side of the issue. He is even pissing off his poster boy....Curry...which they have really built the UA basketball brand around the last couple of years. If enough of his players speak out about his outward support...and he loses the ability to get new players to endorse his brand...well it will impact business. Oh yeah....and God bless America.  

default avatar

2/9/2017 9:28:22 AM
@goeagles

I think what the original poster was saying was that it is just a poor business decision with all of the controversey surrounding the man and the fact that much of his target demographic likely won't appreciate him taking sides. But absolutely it is the man's right. 

That being said, I do find it ironic that you use the term shallow in reference to those boycotting certain businesses due to political views as that is exactly what the current president advocates on a regular basis.... through twitter.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Plank and Trump

2/9/2017 10:54:57 AM
@kjj348

Exactly....I believe this could be interesting to watch if it continues. It is facinating to me how politics and sports blend together these gays. For example....how the Patriots somehow became Trump's team...by default causing the Falcons to have fans that have never rooted for them in the past. Also, the backlash the Black Patriot players received for saying the will not go to the White House as opposed to the reaction to Brady not going to the White House. Facinating to me.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plank and Trump

2/9/2017 10:56:21 AM
@smdeagles

These DAYS.....LOL. Freudian slip....LOL 

default avatar

2/9/2017 8:00:41 PM
@smdeagles

Hopefully smdeagles does not own a business because he just did exactly what he accuses Plank of doing, alienating the other side. Many would not buy from smdeagles, kind of funny. 

default avatar

2/9/2017 8:38:21 PM
@laxfan

I was very neutral in my comments and lucky me....I do not own a business.

default avatar

2/10/2017 7:18:14 AM
@laxfan

Do you even realize how dumb you look right now? For starters, this is an anonymous board. For all you know, smdeagles is Betsy Devos. One key component to boycotting something is that you sort of have to have something specific to boycott, no? Also, you pretty much just parrotted the irony I pointed out from goeagles post where i mentioned his take on someone's shallowness being pretty much what the 45th president does on a daily basis. Finally, smdeagles posts were pretty neutral. If you are reading into them as anti-trump instead of just anti-putting your politics out there, then you are probably a bit sensitive. What is it the alt-right likes to say? A snowflake? 

default avatar

2/10/2017 1:19:09 PM
@kjj348

Wait, SMD is Betsy DeVos? I always thought SMD was a dude. 

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plank and Trump

2/11/2017 1:10:18 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Betsy is a dudes name?

2/11/2017 1:12:04 PM
@smdeagles

yeah it was an interesting move.  In this climate, even if Plank was just trying to support pro-business policies, it is usually a poor decision to appear to pick a side in politics.  

default avatar

2/11/2017 1:03:05 AM

This is an especially interesting topic since UAA (Under Armour's stock symbol) is selling at 21.50 or so right now which is hovering around a three year low.  I saw the interview on CNBC when he was asked about Trump and actually was very surprised that he had any comment at all.  The purpose of the interview was to help prop up the price of the stock not create a reason for someone not to buy Under Armour. But there is a great deal of resistance by many to Trump branded or Trump associated products.

The Washington Post has an extremely interesting article about the potential international impact of Plank's comments about Trump.  I tried to link it but I am not able.  

default avatar

2/11/2017 1:27:54 PM
@BigDrop

Thanks I'll look for the article. Like most stories if he keeps his mouth shut it will be forgotten and business as usual in a week.  If he keeps up his vocal support....we will see.

UA just signed a huge deal with MLB didn't they?  A whole lot of Latin America exposure there. I'm sure the Latin American MLB players don't think much of the President's travel ban. Will be interesting to watch this going forward. UA is very popular in areas that the President isn't so Plank risks losing some of his "street cred" here if he keeps it up. Still back page news story now....and I am sure Mr. Plank got the message and will not be so forthcoming with his political message going forward. He dodged a bullet here and I am sure will learn from it.

default avatar

2/15/2017 7:51:17 PM
@smdeagles

Okay.....looks like Mr. Plank has come to himself

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/319621-under-armour-ceo-walks-back-support-of-trump-in-full-page

You must login to report abuse. Close