Washington D.C. High School Lacrosse

>>

Georgetown Prep South

>>
View:
Sort:

Georgetown Prep South

3/2/2017 6:08:39 PM

Love the photo of the O'Connell lacrosse staff on the homepage. Looks like Georgetown Prep 2 years ago. Anyone want to predict how many wins Giblin's team has?

03/03 BENEDICTINE (0-0) VA 1 Indep    –    
03/08 at DeMatha (0-0) DC WCAC    –    
03/10 POTOMAC SCHOOL (0-0) DC MAC    –    
03/14 at St John Paul the Great (0-0) VA 1 Indep    –    
03/16 at Gonzaga (0-0) DC WCAC    –    
03/21 at St Johns DC (0-0) DC WCAC    –    
03/24 OUR LADY-GOOD COUNSEL (0-0) DC WCAC    –    
03/28 ST MARYS RYKEN (0-0) DC WCAC    –    
03/31 PAUL VI (0-0) DC WCAC    –    
04/03 at Blue Ridge School (0-0) VA 1 VIC    –    
04/06 at Fork Union Mil Academy (0-0) VA 1 Indep    –    
04/08 at Haverford School (0-0) PA IAC    –    
04/12 THE HEIGHTS (0-0) MD MILL-W    –    
04/15 ST ALBANS (0-0) DC IAC    –    
04/19 at Mercersburg Academy (0-0) MD MILL-W    –    
04/21 SIDWELL FRIENDS (0-0) DC MAC    –    
04/25 at Bishop Ireton (0-0) DC WCAC    –    
04/28 at Collegiate School (0-0) VA 1 VIP
Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/2/2017 7:49:26 PM
@brown

who is on his staff?

default avatar

3/3/2017 12:35:52 PM
@brown

That 03/16 game at Gonzaga should be a nice homecoming of sorts for Giblin - he probably has so many fond memories of exploding on the sidelines and going after Gonzaga players that will come rushing back to him. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/3/2017 12:39:59 PM
@NewDC_Jon

When  Gonzaga is considerate enough to call off the dogs when they gets up by ten in the first half, I hope Giblin is reminded of how he never did that for the teams he played against. I hope he tastes what it’s like to have 20 hung on his boys all season long. 

Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/3/2017 4:28:27 PM
@kjj348

Sounds like someone is bitter. If you don't wan to get beat by 20 goals, don't let the other team score. You sound like a Gonzaga lacrosse player before the O'Neil era. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/3/2017 5:04:55 PM
@brown

Oh absolutely I was part of the pre-casey era and you have been around this site long enough that you should know that. You sound like someone who was during the Giblin era and has watched what was once a pretty powerful program (except against landon lol) fall to crap compared to what they once were. And yes, I am bitter. I am bitter I have to watch a man who had no business coaching young men get a second chance, albeit relegated to a second tier after his own self-destruction. I have witnessed the man make fun of overweight twelve year olds for having "boobs," I have seen him berate refs to the point where if it weren't on a lacrosse field it would likely be considered assault, I have seen him talk about players' sisters to their face, I have seen him get physical with a handful of opposing players and countless of his own. And to top it all off, he got in to a bar fight as a middle aged man who had spent all of his life as an "educator." I am bitter. I am bitter that he is still allowed to coach. I am bitter he is still respected by (some very stupid) people as someone who is an example to follow. And I am bitter that despite all this crap, he still has the gall to refer to himself as a christian and admonish people who he may see acting in a way he deems inappropriate. So you can hold down that A button as long as you want, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the man you are trying to defend is a grade a scumbag who has no business involved with the development of teenage boys. He is a step above Cabel Maddux in my book, and that is only because when he attacks other teams' players, he does it himself rather than sending one of his kids to.

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/3/2017 8:54:47 PM
@kjj348

Kjj348 what a bitter guy, you mentioned Gz in your posts, check Giblin's record against them. beat them like a drum. Let me refresh your memory. Prep played mostly 3rd and 4th stringers and won by 15-20 most games. Dont give us this holier than thou crap. In the GZ game in 2006, after they got thrashed, a GZ player punched through a car window, however it was his own. Real tough guy. Glad Giblin gets a second chance. His kids at GP backed down from no one, and I am sure the same will be said for the kids at O'Connell.

I know you know nothing about high school lacrosse in this area. By the way goes the same for Fb

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/6/2017 9:27:04 AM
@laxfan

So did you read anything i said? Because I wasn't talking about players. I wasn't denying that Prep used to trounce Gonzaga (emphasis on used to). His kids backed down from no one (other than landon), sure, but that doesn't have any bearing on what I said either. I suggest you improve your reading comprehension. Also, I am very confused by your last sentence, care to clarify? 

default avatar

3/11/2017 10:01:47 AM
@laxfan

Laxfan,  I am a Gonzaga guy from pre-Casey era until now and I bleed purple.  I think that Kevin Giblin is the best lacrosee coach in the area.  He also has been supported his kids and got many of the 2nd and 3rd stringers into universities to play lacrosse.  Anyone can get the stars in but a good coach gets in the kids that otherwise would not have a chance.  As someone who tries to live my faith I believe in second chances and believe that DJO is a nice fit for Giblin.

I sat through many of the pastings that GP used to give Gonzaga and Giblin kept his first team in until the end.  I wish him well but I also hipe that Casey put up 30 on him versus DJO.  Giblin is a big boy and I believe that I am correct in saying that when he has the horse he wil not let up on you and he does not expect someone to let up on him.  The improvement of DJO lacrosse is good for DJO, WCAC and lacrosse in this area.  I wish him well in every game but one.  However, in that one game I hope Gonzaga returns the favor that other teams are giving to GP 2.0. 

3/4/2017 10:11:55 AM
@kjj348

I"m not trying to get into a teenage fight here. For the most part, I enjoy your posts. But you've been saying the same thing over and over about Giblin for 5 years. People change. Giblin was my teacher and coach back in the day. I loved his intensity. Sure, he got in our faces, screamed, went nuts when we messed up. But that worked for me. I wanted to play harder. I gave everything I had. He was great off the field too. Very supportive of me and my friends.

People lose their temper and say things they don't mean. It happens. That doesn't define them. 

I've known and watched Giblin for over 20 years. He probably doesn't even remember me. But I remember him and am a better person to had him as a teacher/coach. 

default avatar

3/6/2017 9:24:39 AM
@brown

I hear you. And I am glad he had a positive impact on you. It still doesn't excuse him in my book for a lot of the garbage he has put on display. But like the old cliche' goes, if you can reach a single kid, then you have accomplished something big. Hopefully you are right and he has chagned his approach.

default avatar

3/6/2017 10:48:43 AM
@brown

I think it's obvious that I am also no fan of Giblin and your statement, "He probably doesn't even remember me" sums up part of his problem in a nutshell. I was an educator for 4-5 years and have been a coach for nearly 20. I remember the name of every kid I coached or taught. And I think most coaches (at least those who are also halfway decent human beings) would say the same. But you readily admit he likely doesn't remember who you are in spite of having played for him/taught by him. It sums him up in a nutshell: He is one of the most self-absorbed arrogant human beings in the world. People do change, you are right. But this guy has a 3 decade trackrecord of petulant behavior. He had a chance to change. He didn't. He won't.  

default avatar

3/5/2017 12:47:36 PM
@kjj348

Anyone who can get under kjj348's skin as much as Giblin obviously has is OK in my book...lol.

default avatar

3/6/2017 9:25:15 AM
@tor

Cuz we certainly know you can't right? I mean, it takes at least a modicum of intelligence and well... you ain't got it.

default avatar

3/6/2017 10:49:44 AM
@tor

You would defend someone who threw a punch at a kid. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/6/2017 10:56:08 AM
@NewDC_Jon

Sorry, to be more accurate - went after a kid. 

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/6/2017 2:36:41 PM
@NewDC_Jon

If by "kid" you mean 17-year old privledged Gonzaga student, then he probably deserved it. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/6/2017 3:22:44 PM
@brown

Brown, that is the exact thinking that kept Giblin at the school and allowed him to continue embarrasing Prep for way more time than should have been tolerated until he finally got himself fired for getting into a barfight as a middle aged man. Frankly, they lucked out that nothing more serious ever happened. I was there for the incident where he went after a high school student post-game, and the young man (is that okay to use? are you seriously whining about the classification of a HS student as a "kid"?) definitely didn't deserve to be attacked by a grown ass man who constantly references how religion and god are so important to him, yet despite all the talk, rarely exemplifies it through his actions. But for the argument's sake, let's say the high school student did do something to deserve being assaulted. How do you as a grown man have so little self control and such poor judgment that you would ever put your hands on any player, let alone an opposing team's player IN A HANDSHAKE LINE. You can try to justify it all you want, but the fact is that Giblin knew how bad what he did was and he apologized profusely for it the next day (obviously didn't learn his lesson as was evidenced by the throwdown at Caddie's). But to actually state "he probably deserved it" as justification for a HS coach assaulting an opposing team's player is the type of garbage I expect out of the likes of Tor, not someone educated by the Jesuits. 

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/6/2017 5:20:46 PM
@kjj348

But he didn't assault anyone. No charges were filed. No punches were thrown. Sounds like he was standing up for his player. Good for Giblin. 

You were on the Gonzaga side so this is obviously a biased view. If you ask anyone on the Prep side, they would probably tell you it was Gonzaga's fault.

I think it's time you moved on regarding issues that happened in the past. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/7/2017 8:22:02 AM
@brown

And OJ didn't murder nicole. Look man, you clearly weren't there, so your opinion on who people "probably" thought was responsible is irrelevent. Giblin went after the kid for a hit that occurred during the game. It was not a legal hit. It was also unnecessary. That is why that player got benched. See, that is what good coaches (see: Casey O'Neill) do when one of their players acts in a manner not representative of the program. There is no justification EVER for a coach going after his own or an opposing team's players and the fact that you think there can be is sad.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/7/2017 9:29:40 AM
@kjj348

Actually, I was there. I saw the entire thing. And I think Gonzagag was just as much to blame as Prep. Two heated rivals going at it. For you to being crying about it all these years later means you've got an axe to grind. Move on....bro.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/7/2017 10:56:10 AM
@brown

So you honestly believe that Gonzaga was as much to blame for Giblin attempting to choke a teenager for that teenagers cheap shot that happened fifteen minutes prior during a lacrosse game? How the hell were you able to get into prep with that kind of analytical ability? I had moved on, although it wasn't until he was finally fired for that childish bar fight he got into. Do you blame that on Caddies? The fact that you are trying to justify that clown's actions are what has brought me back on the topic. My axe to grind is that this man has no business working with teenagers and even less doing so at an institution that claims to be catholic (although DJC has been doing a great job of undermining that standing in recent years thanks to lil' joey).

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/6/2017 12:19:20 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Not defending anyone...just lmao at the anger your boy shows when Giblin's name is mentioned...almost as much hate as he shows for SJC...was he the kid?

default avatar

3/6/2017 12:58:43 PM
@tor

Tor, I am glad I could bring you some happiness as I know it is hard to come by for you. Funny you should mention SJC and Giblin in the same sentence as my contempt for both is based off of the same thing and that is the fact that both have sacrificed the good will that comes with teaching and coaching. Approaching athletics in an appropriate manner which puts development of the young men and women as people ahead of the development of the program's wins is what matters to good coaches and good parents. Those who put the emphasis solely on wins are missing the point and are not good coaches and are not good parents. I realize you don't get that, and that is ok, but some people do put a price on the ethical approach to athletics.

default avatar

3/6/2017 1:53:10 PM
@tor

That you fail to see that you were defending the guy by saying, Giblin "is OK in my book" speaks volumes about just how stupid you are. Not that we didn't already know. I'd tell you to stick to what you know, but as you obviously dont know jack s*** about anything, I cannot even write that. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/6/2017 9:07:45 PM
@NewDC_Jon

I know you and your online buddy kjj348 need to get a room...lol.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/7/2017 5:59:08 AM
@tor

lol

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/7/2017 3:52:03 PM
@tomslick88

The following types of people use "LOL": pre-teens/tweens and those who have failed to attain the educational level of a pre-teen/tween. Thanks Tor and Tom for confirming what we already knew about you. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgetown Prep South

3/7/2017 8:12:46 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Holiday Inn or Ramada...your turn to pick...lmao.

3/5/2017 3:07:26 PM
@kjj348

A little locker room talk never hurt anyone.....

default avatar

3/3/2017 11:35:55 AM

Good luck to the OC boys, they will need it.

default avatar

3/4/2017 5:27:45 PM

10 wins...Giblin is an excellent coach, and I am sure he has done a few things in his life he would do differently today.  I believe in 2nd chances, if that what you believe this is.  Giblin was not given a filter when he speaks and he says things quickly and often without thinking it all the way through, that was a few years back.  Give him a chance a let's see how it goes.

3/5/2017 3:06:22 PM

Regarding the past, you don't agree to or schedule a game with Georgetown Prep without knowing what you're getting into. To be the best, you gotta beat the best, and Giblin's teams were the best every year (or among them). So if you took on Georgetown Prep, you knew you had a chance to slay the dragon and get the credit for doing so.....but you also knew you could lose by 20.

Schedule MAC or PVAC schools if you want to give hugs and share orange slices after the game. 

default avatar

3/6/2017 9:35:44 AM
@theguru

Was prep actually ever the best under giblin though? Wouldn't that have been landon's title for the VAST majority of those years? I mean, Gonzaga beat landon before prep ever did.

default avatar

3/6/2017 7:51:05 PM
@kjj348

#1 multiple times way before GZ.

Prep #1 in the Country 2003 and 2006

default avatar

3/7/2017 9:03:26 AM
@laxfan

but did they beat landon in 2003? Because to be the best you have to beat the best right? But I will give you '06, that team was one of the best ever in this area. I could be mis-remembering, but I don't believe a single opponent came within 5 goals of beating them the whole season.

default avatar

3/7/2017 3:50:48 PM
@kjj348

Loyola Blakefield came close. 2-3 goal difference I believe. 

default avatar

3/7/2017 9:10:55 PM
@kjj348

Yes they beat Landon in 2003 and many times after that as well. Lost to Gilman first game of the season at Hopkins.

default avatar

3/6/2017 9:46:42 PM

There is no doubt that Giblin has been old school. And he has had his moments. But there is no denying his results. I think the real indicator is whether kids wanted to come and play for him. And the reality is that most did, with full awareness of his style. Forget about whether adults agreed with his style. The validation is that most kids did come and looked back at their experience as one that they relished. Ask them. Most of them will tell you that they are better men for having done so. 

default avatar

3/7/2017 9:00:23 AM
@Pinebarrens

Kids wanted to play for Giblin when the only other option was Bordley. As soon as other programs started to become legit, Giblin started losing kids that 4 years earlier would have wound up at Prep. Once he was no longer one of two options, he became obsolete.  

3/7/2017 9:36:09 AM
@kjj348

Wrong again my friend. The game itself has grown by leaps in bounds. There are more kids playing the sport. I think that's obvious. There's just more talent across the board, which has leveled the playing field. Giblin went 19-1 his final season at Prep. Horning was 25-11 the two seasons after, so I don't think Giblin or his team was "obsolete".

Keep an eye on Bishop O'Connell this season. They just won their opener 18-4. 

default avatar

3/7/2017 11:11:08 AM
@brown

Leaps and bounds. You are correct. The number of kids playing in this area has grown by over 300% in the past decade which supports my point that there are more options for good lacrosse programs to join. It's no longer a Landon/Prep only if you want D-1 attention. Also, wasn't 2014 the year Giblin decided not to play Gonzaga cuz he had lost to them the prior two years? I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that was the year he refused to play them. Really building up character for his boys right? As far as Horning, I thought that guy was a class act. Complete departure from the type of environment provided by Giblin. I have had several interactions in the past with Urick, and I feel like he too is a total class act and will likely put together some of the best prep teams you will ever see.

As far as OC winning their first game 18-4, I'm not so sure I would tout that as all that impressive considering they were playing Benedictine who has not had a winning season in years (if ever) while playing southern VA competition. 

default avatar

3/7/2017 4:00:53 PM
@brown

They just won their opener against a terrible Benedictine squad. Nothing to hang a hat on. That said, with Giblin's general scumbaggery and DJO's willingness to look the other way when it comes to over age transfers, I am sure DJO's roster will be overflowing with recent Bayhawks cuts. 

default avatar

3/7/2017 4:11:27 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Unfortunately for Giblin and the lesser wooten, american birth certificates are considerably harder to forge than those from the Congo (unless you believe our tiny handed commander in chief) and I don't think there are too many lacrosse programs developing 25 year old attackmen in Africa.

default avatar

3/7/2017 10:54:54 PM

I think "let it go".  His record speaks for itself.   He has an opportunity to make a difference in a new program - more power to him.   I know the details of the Bethesda incident and I have read here the remarks about the GCHS v GP row.  Past.  Move on to what's next.

You must login to report abuse. Close