default avatar

State of DeMatha Basketball

3/5/2017 4:19:37 PM

How long has it been since the storied DeMatha basketball program has won a WCAC title?  I like that the WCAC is one of the most, if not the most, competitive basketball conferences in the country, but isn't DM supposed to win occasionally?

This year was beyond disappointing or many DeMatha fans.  I think coaching might be an issue.  Mike Jones has a strong resume with his involvement in team USA and the high number of D1 players and NBA players, but if you have all that talent shouldn’t you orchestrate some championship seasons?  It seems that the other WCAC coaches are doing more with less talent.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/5/2017 5:05:16 PM
@HSSportsFan16

DM lost a lot of talent over the past couple years due to transfer.

default avatar

Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/6/2017 9:06:20 PM
@tomslick88

Incorrect. Again.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/7/2017 9:04:53 AM
@silverbullet

Do you ever actually expect this man to post correct information other than when he simply writes "lol"? I bet even the LOL's are lies. Are you actually laughing out loud tom? Are you? Because my bet is at best you gave a chuckle. Liar.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/7/2017 10:39:05 AM
@kjj348

He's been having a very tough time explaining himself lately. He was shut down on the Sun forum pretty quickly after a current DM parent pointed out how "off" his numbers were. Can you really believe that a Bullis parent is calling other schools out for having reclassed kids? Bullis? Unreal stuff.

DeMatha basketball always has kids transferring out because they feel they won't get enough playing time. Sometimes you transfer to a smaller pond to shine or sometimes you stay and let it motivate you to become the potential #1 pick in the NBA Draft(Markelle Fultz).

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/7/2017 10:49:46 AM
@silverbullet

Exactly. Sure, some talented players transfer out... but DM is not hurting for it. And yes, I saw that online beat-down that got tossed tomslick's way... it was pretty impressive and funny. Finally, I don't even think this clown has a kid at bullis. I  am pretty sure its his nephew he was living vicariously through which is pretty sad. I do know a lot of his DM bashing comes from his never getting a shot to go there and the bitterness about his own failed athletic career. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/7/2017 6:24:12 PM
@kjj348

Congrats on both BBall championships!

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/8/2017 10:01:01 AM
@tomslick88
I didn't coach or play in any championships. Unlike you, I don't take accolades that others earn.
default avatar

3/8/2017 10:01:01 AM
@tomslick88
I didn't coach or play in any of those championships. Unlike you, I don't take accolades that others earn.
default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/7/2017 6:20:37 PM
@silverbullet

Lol! My numbers were dead on! I got a text from one of the parents who is a very good friend that said they dont have to answer to anybody about their kid being reclassified. LMAO! And like I said on the Bmore fourm Ive been knowing those kids and families for a long time. Our kids go back to either elementary/middle school, playing football against/with in lil league or track. 

My personal stance on reclassification is, "I really dont give a S**T because some kids need that option!" 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/7/2017 7:13:58 PM
@tomslick88

I believe you said that almost all of DM's seniors were reclassed and the DM parent explained that 3 out of 17 seniors were reclassed at one point in grade school and only 2 played. All of which fell well within the WCAC/MD state age and eligibilty requirement. It's just another ridiculous excuse out of you. The only thing that you're holding on to is the fact that nobody is creepy enough to name the names of players at other schools, like you did with DM. Wise, Bullis, Quince Orchard etc...all have several reclassed players. And don't act tough like you don't care. You bring it up all of the time.

default avatar

3/7/2017 7:20:15 PM
@silverbullet

While you are busy justifiably tearing Tom to shreds don't forget to point out that he lives vicariously through teenage boys, most of whom wildly ridicule him both to his face and behind his back. 

default avatar

3/8/2017 3:59:43 AM
@silverbullet

Your tail was so shook on that thread you should have paid more attention. What I said was out of the kids I personally know that played with or against my son (12+ kids) who are/were at DM only 3-4 were not reclassified. Lmao! Its been a bad month or so for you Bullet, you should take a break.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/8/2017 11:18:35 AM
@tomslick88

Oh yea I know exactly what happened...You ran your mouth with that ridiculous story and then the DM parent went down the roster and posted that 3/17 seniors on the current team reclassed in grade school at some point. You never responded to that post because you knew your story was exposed.

This is not breaking news to anyone, TS. Just because you post things doesn't mean that they are correct. I'm not having a bad month. You do not LOL. Everyone on DCSportfan is not a drunk. Look, you act like you have an "in" with DM folks. If they were such good friends then why did that let you keep embarassing yourself on here for months about DeMatha's spread offense?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/8/2017 12:39:00 PM
@silverbullet

Right and what does that have to do with the kids I personally know/knew who I talk to daily that are/were reclassified at DM? You sound stupid champ! LMAO

Please look up spread package too. I think everyone else knows what it looks like!

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/8/2017 12:57:54 PM
@tomslick88

It has nothing to do with the kids that you know because your claims are false, meaning your story is thrown in the trash. A parent posted the facts of the 2016 roster. You posted some fictitious story that helps you sleep at night explaining why DM football is so good. Get over it.

I don't have to look up the spread offense. The QB's father(a QB coach himself) set you straight on that one a while ago. Keep LOL'ing and posting emoji's though. That activity falls directly in line with your credibility. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/8/2017 11:22:50 AM
@tomslick88

I forgot, I was told to tell you to stop living vicariously through your "youngin". Don't shoot the messenger, TS.

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

3/7/2017 6:00:51 PM
@silverbullet

They should ban you as a fan! I can think of 5 kids that transferred out of the program that would have been heavy contributers to the DM bball program in 2016 and 2017. I believe all but one are committed or either playing at the next level. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: State of DeMatha Basketball

3/7/2017 7:00:18 PM
@tomslick88

...and they left because they wanted more playing time than they would of got at DeMatha. Once a kid wants to transfer because they won't start, DM is all for that. Like most WCAC schools, DM subscribes to hanging on to the kids that want to stay and compete, not look for an easy out.

Ban me as a fan? Uh remember when you use to rant about how DM ran the spread offense and then the QB's father explained how silly you looked doing so? Yea, that was right around the point where people stopped taking you serious...You don't get to tell anyone, anything around here.

default avatar

3/5/2017 7:37:59 PM
@HSSportsFan16

they have won..  I mean could it be that the other WCAC programs are getting better??  IMO.. dont think that they are struggling, WCAC teams have been getting better as of late...  

default avatar

3/5/2017 8:33:44 PM
@macanthony1982

They just lost to Riverdale Baptist. They lost to SMR earlier this year.

default avatar

3/6/2017 10:19:25 AM
@HSSportsFan16

that maybe true but it sports, powerhouse will lose occasionally... lol   

SMR was pretty decent this year..

riverdale baptist is always good most of the time.. 

again this happens...  i bet if dematha was to play smr again they would smash them... 

default avatar

3/6/2017 10:33:59 AM
@HSSportsFan16

Granted it has been 7 (or so) years since they last won a WCAC title but the fact that this thread came after yet another 20 win season speaks to how strong the program is. Let's not forget (and pls correct me if I am wrong): they were WCAC runners up last year and won Alhambra, WCAC runners up 2 years ago and won Alhambra, and WCAC runners up 3 years ago. Outside of that 2012-13 debacle they have been one of the best teams in the best conference for hoops in the US year in and year out for the past several decades. I get that DeMatha isnt ever playing for second place in hoops but even UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and Duke get bounced earlier than expected most years. And consider that PVI and DJO have really upped their recruiting games and SJC is in another galaxy from a $$ spent on sports perspective and perhaps a few years of WCAC runner up isnt the worst thign in the world. Oh, and I think one could easily argue that in the past few years DeMatha hasn't had the most talented rosters in the WCAC. 

default avatar

3/6/2017 10:53:27 AM
@NewDC_Jon

All very good points

3/9/2017 3:10:35 PM
@HSSportsFan16
I Disagree

I'm still sticking with Mike Jones.  Silver Bullet gave the best answers so far and while seven years is a long time to wait by DeMatha standards, there isn't a better high school basketball coach in the country than Mike Jones in my opinion.

This is what I'm willing to say about this particular year being a disappointment: DeMatha is very spoiled.  The Stags are used to winning a lot of basketball games (20+ this year) but sometimes it is difficult to live up to our own history.  If anything, I thought that Mike Jones recognized that this team had the potential to struggle early on and didn't make the toughest schedule possible coming into this season.

An injury to a key player also reduced the depth and leadership of the team long before they started notching losses.  That being said, the other players on the DeMatha varsity would have a difficult time playing against the last DeMatha team to win a WCAC basketball championship.  I don't need to go into a lot of detail about how good they were because four of those guys are in the NBA and at least one is playing overseas.  What are the odds of that happening at any high school?

I don't think that it takes anything away from any of the current DeMatha players to suggest that it isn't easy to live up to what has become the standard at DeMatha.  Eventually, the WCAC championships will come to the Stags if they keep striving for that kind of excellence.  DeMatha still has solid players, but I have noticed over the years that we probably win more championships without what some would call "superstars."  I'm looking forward to the future DeMatha basketball because there aren't that many people that are in-the-know about what the current underclassmen are capable of.

Justin Moore, Justin Gielen, Carsten Kolgenik, Hunter Dickinson, Ray Ritter, are all up next.  All are expected to continue to develop considerably under Mike Jones.

default avatar

3/9/2017 5:59:15 PM
@dicooper

DM is a victim of their own success. It used to be that DM was best handsdown no comparison and there were a few teams that could hang and occasionaly get the W depending on their team that year. Now, because of DM and those few teams growing, the WCAC (at least in bball) is what was once solely DM and one other team given the year (whether it be GZ, OC, PVI, Caroll back in the day etc.) but now has become mutliple teams that are the quality and standard that the greater Wooten and DM created. because of that, it really is a crapshoot. We have reached peak wcac comeptition where some of the best teams that DM, GZ, SJC and any other wcac team has ever fielded may come away with not only no championship, but a multi-loss season. And i believe that. Some of the most talented bball teams i have seen in the last decade have not won champsionhips. That doesnt really matter anymore. What matters now is are you a player good enough to start in the wcac on a team that ends the season in the top 4-5. Cuz if you are... you are good enough to play on the next level. its sort of comparable to what baltimore lacrosse was in the 90's where you could play for a five loss-no playoff team and be a midling player on that team but still pull a scholly because schools knew you were playing against the best. Regardless, a wcac championship nowadays in beasketball is awesome. it says alot.  BUT, even playing for one of those teams says alot more... maybe i am wrong and i welcome all different opinions, but there is no argument that the wcac is what it is in bball because of the climate that morgan wooten created with decades of national powerhouses. people need to respect that.

3/11/2017 5:23:06 AM
@kjj348
I Agree

I meant to also emphasize the fact that the team that won the 2009-2010 championship was even better than the sum of those individual players.  (And yeah, it is obvious to the whole world now that Mike Jones is capable of developing the next generation of the basketball vanguard.)  They played so well together that they averaged about 10 points each in a championship game.  In my opinion Mike Jones is doing something a little different than the other schools in the country and he is taking us to unchartered heights.

Morgan Wootten certainly put high school basketball on the nation's radar and helped to usher in the era of commercial basketball as a world sport.  Mike Jones is giving a lot of kids the tools to cash in and taking basketball further.  I love the fact that Paul VI, Gonzaga, and SJC are making it happen on the court but they aren't playing the same long game as DeMatha.

Kids ain't stupid, either.  Everybody is going to want to be Markelle Fultz even though he didn't win a conference championship.

default avatar

3/6/2017 11:04:46 AM

Is this actually a thread? Like, do you realize the WCAC is hands down the best bball conference in the country and that the DC area has some of the best talent in the world for bball? I get that you are just trolling and trying to ruffle DM supporters feathers, but this isn't even a good job of doing that. Do you see the kids they send year in and year out to major programs? A wcac championship is great, and at DM it is a constant expectation. But to imply that Mike Jones isn't doing major stuff in Hyattsville and running a fantastic program is just foolish. Morgan never had to deal with a WCAC that is as talented across the board as it is today. I don't think he would have the same record if he did. I mean, look how much the lesser wooten struggles over at OC (when he is not bringing in adults to play for his team that is).

default avatar

3/6/2017 11:15:10 AM
@kjj348

my sentiments exactly...  like you said WCAC is very talented across the board in recent years. (not really as top heavy like DCIAA is now a days.. lol)

your last comment about wooten at oconnell was hilarious.... lol lol

default avatar

3/6/2017 11:47:32 AM
@kjj348

Hey, someone needs to buy beer for his teammates. Wooten was just ensuring the rest of the team didnt get busted for having fake ID's by bringing Etou in. 

default avatar

3/6/2017 11:47:32 AM
@kjj348

Hey, someone needs to buy beer for his teammates. Wooten was just ensuring the rest of the team didnt get busted for having fake ID's by bringing Etou in. 

default avatar

3/7/2017 10:48:35 AM

DM basketball is fine. Gone are the days of Billy Glading's buzzer beaters beating Keith Bogan's DeMatha while every reporter in the gym is picking their jaw off the floor. GZ, DM, SJC, PVI and DJO are all national programs now. The WCAC is the best conference in the country because you never know who is going to win. As a fan, all you hope for is that they have a great chance at winning every year and enjoy the roller coaster that the WCAC provides. Jones has more kids playing in the NBA than 95% of the area schools have playing D1 basketball. I'm sure the school doesn't hate the donations from NBA millionaire alums in their early 20's either. Jones is an unbelievable coach and DM has an unreal amount of talent in the pipeline. Nobody needs to panic...

default avatar

3/7/2017 8:26:18 PM
@silverbullet

Agreed. When you have five national-caliber programs, at least one is going to lose in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. That's nuts.

default avatar

3/10/2017 1:29:34 AM

Losing the sophomore guard was a huge loss . That kid can play . I hope his recovery goes well . I wonder if the shoe contract situation has affected the basketball program . Looks like football is full blown with Under Armour while hoops is still with Nike .

3/11/2017 4:40:19 AM
@skinsfan24

"Is it the shoes?" - Mookie (Spike Lee) for NIKE

I don't think that it has anything to do with the shoes, but your statement reminded me a classic television commercial.

You must login to report abuse. Close