>>

JTIII/Georgetown

>>
View:
Sort:
default avatar

JTIII/Georgetown

3/28/2017 11:33:47 AM

Was this the right move to let him go??  I feel that the last 5 or 6 years JTIII seemed to get get players that dont fit his "system" ultimately leading to his release. What yall think??

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: JTIII/Georgetown

3/28/2017 12:32:28 PM
@macanthony1982

In the last five or six years he couldn't get players regardless of system, especially those from his own back yard. Largely, the best local kids to come to G'Town during the JTIII era were holdovers from Esherick (Hibbert, Green) or signees from his early years (Summers, Wright, Freeman, Monroe...). When you are getting out-recruited in your own backyard by the rest of your conference (and seemingly the rest of the college basketball landscape) something is wrong. He seemingly had his pick of Balto and DC area private school players early on. Then, most of  the best (Hart, Jenkins, Trimble, Cowan, King, Britt....) were going elsewhere. 

That said, JTIII did a great job of initially righting the ship at Georgetown, but his last four seasons were not up to Georgetown standards. And, he is a good coach and did great things from a giving-back perspective. I can say from firsthand experience that he seemingly never turned down an opportunity to lend his time (and the time of his team) to worthwhile causes, especially ones involving sports and youth, in DC. He will certainly get another HC position somewhere if he wants it. 

default avatar

Re: Re: JTIII/Georgetown

3/28/2017 1:24:41 PM
@NewDC_Jon

No doubt about him being a pretty awesome person. Always took time to give back to the area, his schools, and the wcac. Seems like he lives out the jesuit ideals, one reason why he was such a great fit, at least on the personal end, for G-town. Bummed to see him go, but will look forward to seeing where he lands and what he starts next. Frankly, I'm relieved because now I can stop feeling like I have to support G-town out of respect for the man.

default avatar

3/28/2017 1:20:54 PM

Pretty neat article by Dave McKenna on Deadspin about the feud/rivalry between JTIII and the greater Wooten. Definitely worth the read for any other history nerds or those who just enjoy local bball. I knew they were never big fans of one another, but did not realize how deep it went.

http://deadspin.com/the-power-struggle-at-georgetown-goes-back-to-a-petty-1793666837

default avatar

3/28/2017 1:31:28 PM
@kjj348

sorry, JTII not three.

default avatar

3/29/2017 8:01:33 PM

It was time. In hindsight it may have been better to hire JT III right after JT II. Perhaps should have brought him on a couple of years before JT II left as the heir apparent. That may have been a better plan in order to keep the Thompson mistique going. JT II had a sub par last two years and the program crumbled under Eshrick. Most folk under 35 barely know who JT II is so all the momentum the Thompson regime had is dead now. I hope they hire Ewing....could add a much needed exitement to the program and still keep whatever juice the Thompson name has left. 

default avatar

3/30/2017 6:45:56 PM
@smdeagles

Ewing would be a pretty great pick. Being at MSG for the first night of the tournament for the SJ-G'Town game, it is obvious that the fan base is still there. A good Georgetown team would do wonders for the new (and improved) Big East. If Ewing can do that, all the better. 

You must login to report abuse. Close