default avatar

SJC

6/5/2017 9:25:04 PM

Who left SJC now????

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down

Re: SJC

6/5/2017 10:51:44 PM
@R828

Just heard their basketball coach is going to IMG.  Will they bring Pat back from Ryken?

default avatar

Re: Re: SJC

6/6/2017 9:01:57 AM
@dcsportsfan84

SJC CAN HAVE HIM....  LOL

default avatar

6/6/2017 10:59:17 AM
@dcsportsfan84

Hard to become the IMG of the north if coaches are leaving SJC to go to IMG, no?

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

6/6/2017 10:53:13 PM
@R828

15 returning football players (8 starters a host of WCAC All-Team, and I'm told a helluva a quality coach with pull within the DVM)

But, the Syracuse Coach and AD are still there. . . so NOTHING will change BUT kids will leave.  

default avatar

6/7/2017 10:09:26 AM
@R828

As this is about hoops, not football, for clarity sake are you implying that a number of football players are leaving SJC as well?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: SJC

6/7/2017 11:21:59 AM
@NewDC_Jon

A handful of their best players have transferred to SFA. It's going to hurt them bad if they don't take in multiple transfers. The way they are built now, they lose 2-3 regular season games and get a running clock put on them in all of the OOS games sans SJR which is still a loss. For the sake of the league's reputation, I hope they bring in 10+ transfers. If 2017's season is a massacre, expect massive changes over there. If everything stays the same, those "best freshman class'" will continue not to make it to graduation day.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC

6/7/2017 11:28:04 AM
@silverbullet

Thanks for the heads up although I've got a slightly different perspective. One season of SJC taking some lumps OOC I can live with. But for the sake of the league's reputation, I hope they cut it out w the wholesale accepting of 8-12 transfers (including seniors) a year. Sort of a black eye on the entire league when your top teams are only the top teams because they basically fill their roster w upperclass transfers, no? I don't see DeMatha, OLGC, or Gonzaga doing it nearly to the extent that SJC is. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC

6/7/2017 12:07:21 PM
@NewDC_Jon

You're right. I was being selfish with the knowledge of what DeMatha is trying to do this year. SJC does well OOS, then it raises DM's SOS. 

Overall, SJC isn't built to house a transferred up squad which experiences continued success. You need an extremely skilled on and off the field coaching staff to make that work. With coaches and players leaving weekly, it's pretty easy to see there is trouble in paradise. I'm sure the SJC admin is learning on the fly though. You throw enough S at the wall, eventually something will stick...

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SJC

6/7/2017 3:44:22 PM
@silverbullet

Or you'll just be left w a wall covered in...you know. Has SJC reached that point yet?

6/6/2017 5:09:41 PM

St. John’s basketball coach Sean McAloon is leaving, will be replaced by St. Mary’s Ryken coach Pat Behan

Sean McAloon is leaving St. John’s to be the head boys basketball at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, multiple sources have confirmed to The Post.

St. John’s is expected to hire Pat Behan, currently the head boys basketball coach at St. Mary’s Ryken, in McAloon’s place, three sources with direct knowledge of the situation confirmed Tuesday. McAloon and the St. John’s athletic department could not be reached for comment by early Tuesday afternoon.

Behan spent two seasons as an assistant on McAloon’s St. John’s staff, then coached the last three seasons at St. Mary’s Ryken in Leonardtown, Maryland. McAloon took over at St. John’s in 2012 after spending seven years at Benedictine. According to a source with firsthand knowledge, McAloon informed the St. John’s players and parents Monday night of his departure. Behan, according to another source, informed his team of his departure Tuesday morning.

The coaching shake-up will send McAloon south to IMG, a premier athletic institution that, in its own words, provides “athletes the opportunity to improve their sport and educational performance on our 500 acre, world-class campus.” St. John’s is a Catholic school in Northwest Washington that is also highly committed to athletic success. The school is closely tied with Under Armour and CEO Kevin Plank, who graduated from St. John’s in 1990. Plank made a $16 million donation to St. John’s in 2015.

McAloon will leave Behan with a very solid team heading into the summer. The Cadets finished 25-10 this past season after winning the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference in 2015. They return a talented, experienced backcourt with rising senior Tre Wood and rising junior Casey Morsell. Wood’s college offer list includes San Diego, Hofstra, George Washington, St. Joseph’s, Iowa, Penn State and Towson, among other schools. Morsell has seen has stock rise since the AAU circuit started in April, and has offers from Virginia Tech, Penn State, George Mason, George Washington and Towson, among other programs. St. John’s also brings back senior center Richard Njoku, a high-energy big man who has drawn the interest of a handful of mid-major schools.

Behan, a Leesburg, Virginia native who played college basketball at Bucknell, built up St. Mary’s Ryken’s program over the last three seasons. The Knights finished 16-15 in 2014, 14-18 in 2015 and 16-13 this past season with a win over DeMatha and tight losses to St. John’s, DeMatha, Paul VI and Gonzaga, the eventual WCAC champions.

He leaves St. Mary’s Ryken with three players who will almost certainly play Division I basketball — rising senior guard Wynston Tabbs, and rising juniors in wing Mekhi Long and point guard Jahmir Young. Tabbs has solidified himself as a high-major recruit, Long is already being courted by a handful of notable programs, and Young has his share of scholarship offers. The Knights are also set to bring in rising sophomore guard Mike Sumner, who led Oxon Hill in scoring last season.

default avatar

Re: McAloon Heading to IMG

6/7/2017 10:25:09 AM

I think there should be a Rooney Rule in high school sports.  That was a quick hire at SJC...

default avatar

Re: McAloon Heading to IMG

6/8/2017 1:54:45 PM
You must login to report abuse. Close