WCAC Players in the NBA

6/23/2017 6:54:22 AM

Markelle Fultz went number one, but what other DMV locals were drafted in the 2017 NBA Draft?

I read that Kris Jenkins is getting a serious look from the Wizards, which is the least that they can do for a National Championship winner from the area.  (Even though Jenkins went undrafted I am pretty sure that he will find a roster spot in the league eventually.  He might have the same journey as Quinn Cook -another National Championship winner.)  Nate Britt might even still make it on the strength of being on a National Championship team at Carolina, as well.  NBA team scouts love the winners to fill role-player roster spots.

Side note, Kendall Marshall is still looking for a permanent roster spot in the newly named G-League.  To me this just shows how utterly saturated the NBA is with talent.  Basketball players are a dime a dozen and it is the things that are done outside of the game that can secure your future in the game.  WCAC players have all contributed to this historic moment and it is going to be interesting to see how many are going to keep playing at the highest level.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down

Re: WCAC Players in the NBA

6/23/2017 10:58:26 AM
@dicooper
I Agree

Agreed.  This is why the NBA needs a robust minor league system.  I'd propose that each time have a NBA-D League team, and a tier lower than that.  The NBA has enough money to make this possible - look at the salaries average players are getting!  The player's union should love it - even more guys in the union.  The minor leagues would also be bolstered by the NBA allowing more movement back and forth between the minor leagues (would be controlled, just like the MLB).  Having a robust minor league system would then correct the one and done/ lack of scholarship issues in college ball.  Have it be just like baseball - you can be drafted right of high school and go pro, or turn down your draft sot and go play college for three years before you are eligible to be drafted again.

This would appease the purists, help ballers who are not school oriented (or want the pacheck, nothing wrong with that.   bacon ain't free), annnnd create more game content/opportunities for the proteams to sell more popcorn.

boom, problem solved.

Re: Re: WCAC Players in the NBA

6/26/2017 4:36:43 PM
@FrankCurry

I have given this a lot of thought and I don't believe that the owners see this as a problem.  Without a farm system to finance and an infinity pool of talent from which to draw there isn't a whole lot of pressure to give in to demands by the Players Union.  

The NBA wants to be a global game, and they certainly don't need a minor league based solely in the USA to do that.  Front office executives salivate at foreign born players from untapped markets.  Foreign players are less than likely to leave the comforts of home unless they are guaranteed a roster spot on the biggest stage.

What about paying players in college though?

default avatar

6/23/2017 4:47:24 PM
@dicooper

DMV Local, but not a WCAC guy - Josh Hart was a first rounder too. If interested, the WCAC was well represented in the WNBA draft this year too (I know not too much WNBA chatter out there). Lindsay Allen (St. John's)  got drafted by the Liberty and Lanay Montgomery (AHC) got drafted by the Seattle team. 

Re: Re: WCAC Players in the NBA

6/24/2017 8:17:52 AM
@NewDC_Jon

I watch the women's game too from college to the Pros and I check up on the Liberty from time to time but I didn't see the news.

Josh Hart was a solid pick and it looks like he ended up with the Lakers.  

Romelo Trimble needs to get a look from a team, also.  Melo's stock did nothing but go down since his Freshman year for some reason. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: WCAC Players in the NBA

6/26/2017 10:52:29 AM
@dicooper

Allen was drafted, then cut, then resigned by the Liberty after they lost another guard to injury. I only knew because I speak to a member or two of the family every now and again. The WCAC has to have the unique distinction of having 2 players be drafted by the same WNBA franchise, then get cut, then get resigned - Ty Marshall of Seton was drafted by the Liberty as well, cut, and resigned (albeit for about 5 minutes) about 4-5 years ago.  

6/24/2017 9:07:46 AM

You know what's crazy is that Rodney Magruder (Carroll) started for Miami last year. He came out of nowhere basically. 

What other former local DMV/WCAC basketball players are in the NBA?

You must login to report abuse. Close