default avatar

Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

6/29/2017 11:22:12 AM

Rumor?? Truth??

Anyone "inside" that can clarify??

Heard SJC AD Griffin, has placed a lot of pressure on Casamento to 1) Beat Gonzaga 2) Beat DM 3) Win WCAC Title or return to NY?

Names of prospective coaches already flying around ... promote Ward or possible IMG Assistant to take over.

Inability to keep high profile kids on Military Rd is another reason given.  Recent SFA Exodus.

Anyone else hearing chatter or confirm?

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

6/29/2017 11:37:36 PM
@GameChanger

He is also approximately my age which is 70. (He was 67 when he took the job.)  I am certain that when he moved down here from Syracuse (where he was a coaching legend) it was with the intention of developing a national class team.  I am also guessing that he had three or four years total in mind to do this and then retire.

I believe that this, his third year, will be his last because that was his original plan.  I would like to see him go out in style and beat every out of the DC area team that St. John's Plays. 

A second victory over IMG would be particularly sweet.

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Re: Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

6/30/2017 11:25:23 AM
@BigDrop

If Casamento really thought that his hubris knows no bounds. Anyone born and raised in playing football in NY knows that NY private or public school football cannot hold a candle to the likes of the NJ or DMV Catholic-school leagues (myself included). If Casamento really thought he could have come in to SJC and built a powerhouse along the lines of the one he developed at CBA (even with all the resources in the world) in under five years, he is delusional or those talking to him are. NY HS football, even at the highest levels, is not the full time job it is down here. The compeition isnt nearly as fierce. Granted the level of talent on his SJC rosters far surpasses that of his CBA roster, but never in his life would he have faced the talent of a OLGC, Gonzaga, or DeMatha and he certainly wouldn't have faced it on a weekly basis. Had he really known what he was walking in to I think he would have taken a different path. 

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

6/30/2017 5:11:30 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Ummm....tell that to the SJC lacrosse team...did exactly that with half the resources. It can be done. He is a great coach who communicates well with his team. I have been on the sidelines with him and he is exceptional. I doubt an ultimatum was given.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

6/30/2017 5:33:13 PM
@DMVlacrosse

Sweet comparison. WCAC lax can hold a candle to WCAC football. Not at all comprable. WCAC Lacrosse: Gonzaga and an SJC team that needs to prove it can be a consistent threat in years when Gonzaga isn't down. WCAC Football: You have four teams that are consistently among the top 200 programs in the nation. That's like saying, "tell that to the SJC Field Hockey team..." Apples to oranges. That said, Horsey and Speaks, collectively, were given a far longer leash than Casamento, and are better overall coaches in their respective sport. 

And great that you were on the sidelines with him. I played against his teams when he was coaching in New York in the early 2000s and am friends with many who coached against him (or got ducked by him). He wasn't exceptional and he certainly isn't now. There is a reason he consistently got handled by public school programs. There is a reason he never scheduled the real Catholic school powerhouses (a term I use loosely for HS football in NY) like Iona Prep, Xavierian, Stepinac, or even Christ the King. He even ducked Poly Prep. If he is what you define as "exceptional" you clearly don't know what the term means. He isn't an exceptional coach even by NY HS football standards. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

6/30/2017 6:45:01 PM
@NewDC_Jon

To me...exceptional football coach would include a record of 143-27, four district titles, a state championship...oh and Coach of the Year for the entire state of New York. My point, that you seemed to have missed, is that unlike in lacrosse, Coach Joe is not starting from nothing. The resources are there for him to use and create. He has a good team with some exceptional players and will compete for the WCAC title.  What this team does against a national schedule is anyone's guess.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

6/30/2017 6:49:06 PM
@DMVlacrosse

Oh...and I have played for, coached with and learned from some of the best football coaches in this city. Each has a manner that instills confidence in what they are trying to achieve on the field. Most, let their players play and ignore the outside noise. Above all, their players want to win for them and that, ultimately, is what makes a great coach.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Win or Go Home? SJC Football HC Given Ultimatum ???

7/23/2017 2:05:59 PM
@DMVlacrosse
I Disagree

You really have to read between the lines with these numbers.  Listen to NewDC_Jon.  As another New Yorker I can confess that compared to the DMV the entire state lacks in talent and coaching.  The level of play and the number of participants lags behind the top echelon of the WCAC, specifically.  I also thought it was hubris for him to take the job and I believe that I am on the record saying as much.

He didn't recognize that he was in a small pond and moving into the ocean.  SJC wanted Patterson gone and so they made the deal, but the expectations were going to be difficult to meet no matter who was at the helm.  Maybe Casamento wanted one last challenge, but he has to be humbled at this point in his endeavor?  The only thing that salvages what can only be described as a disaster to this point is if SJC can run the entire table in 2017.

Winning a WCAC title isn't going to cut it with all the money and drastic changes that have taken place at SJC.  (You are supposed be able to win a WCAC title without changing the identity of your school.)  The calls for Casemento to take the blame increase with any loss, especially if players continue to leave.  I'm going to be rooting for them during their arduous out of conference schedule, but I think that there is a real danger here that a deeper disappointment is on the horizon.  If SJC can't win enough games to satisfy their interests to this point, everyone gets exposed.

default avatar

7/9/2017 10:31:37 PM
@GameChanger

So when is Casamento leaving before or after the season they announce his replacement .....mid-season?

default avatar

7/1/2017 11:58:14 AM

SJC football has been a soap opera over the last few years. Perhaps the problem is not the coach? Perhaps it is administration. Far too many times it appears the tail is wagging the dog at SJC. Whether it is Plank's influence or this win or bust attitude when it comes to the football program. The shame is they have everything in place. Money, location, ability to get kids admitted that would not otherwise, take transfers, etc. I do not blame the coach when it was a zoo before he got there. Whether you like DM, GZ, GC or even SFA or not......they all have a consistent culture/identity and stick with it. SJC does not.

You must login to report abuse. Close