Best WCAC Basketball Team (All-Time)

11/3/2017 12:07:33 PM

I'm going to Gonzaga tonight to see the 1996-1997 basketball team get inducted into the school's Hall of Fame. I remember seeing those guys run through the WCAC back then, led by Alvin Brown (Xavier). He was a great player, but that was just a great team. Should be a cool night. 

Anyway, what are some of the top "Teams" the league has seen over the years? We get hung up on players here so I wanted to change it up a bit. 

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Best WCAC Basketball Team (All-Time)

11/3/2017 12:53:35 PM
@theguru

PVI’s ’12 team was special. Went undefeated in conference play. Lost to Oak Hill, St. Ray’s NYC and DM at the Alahambra. They caught fire in the WCAC tournament. 

Gonzaga ‘17 was a good one recently. 

DeMatha has a nice run a few years ago with all those NBA players. Quinn Cook, Victor Oladipo, Jerian Grant, and Jerami Grant. 

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
default avatar

11/7/2017 10:22:02 PM
@theguru

Maybe it's unfair, but I think the best teams are often the ones without NBA/NCAA stars.  1997 Gonzaga is a solid example as you point out with Al Brown, Al Elliott and company (that was the year Pallotti tried to rent a WCAC title with Dada Morris and Nate Green  "randomly" wanting to come play for Mike Glick). Another example is 1990-91 DeMatha who is one of the greatest ever as they went undefeated and were a top 5 team in the nation despite having Duane Simpkims, Vauhgn Jones, Mike jones and co. who were all great high school hoopsters but far from professional basketball studs.

11/3/2017 1:33:46 PM

The 2008 Gonzaga team (Max Kenyi, Cameron Johson, Ian Hummer, Tyler Thornton) was great to watch. They went 34-1 and won the WCAC, City Title and Alhabmra. 

11/3/2017 4:20:22 PM

Gotta be one of Morgan Wootten's team's I imagine. 

default avatar

11/3/2017 9:35:59 PM

It is very hard to compare teams across years and decades as the game has changed so much over time.   However, two teams not mentioned here so far could match up with any five on any team since the WCAC/Catholic League has been in existence.

Archbishop Carroll won an all-time area best 55 straight over two seasons in 1959-60. The record still stands after all these years.   No one has really approached it.  The team had two starters 6'10 or taller, two lights out shooters, and a smart point guard.   John Thompson was the 4th best player on the team.   

You can pick from either of two Morgan Wootten's juggernauts led by either Adrian Dantley or from the Billy Langloh teams.   They were brilliantly constructed teams that seemed to always come through in the clutch and never beat themselves. 

Dantley on the high school level was a man playing with boys.  Langloh was very good, and somehow underrated at the same time.  However, the best pure shooter, and probably the best player,  this league has ever produced was Austin Carr of Mackin.   With a three point line today, he would literally average 50 ppg.  Anyone who ever saw him shoot was always surprised when he missed.   

default avatar

Re: Re: Best WCAC Basketball Team (All-Time)

11/3/2017 10:31:42 PM
@ANYONEBUTWVU

Austin Carr was ridiclously good. NCAA tournament records, 1st player picked in NBA draft. DeMatha 72-73 was unbelievable team. Beat a lot of top teams from around the country but did get upset by Dunbar of Baltimore. Not tall but top 6 were all D-1 including 1st team All American in Dantley. 78 Dematha team was 10 deep and # 1 in the country. 84 team was fun to watch.

Probably the most fun player to watch was Jo Jo Hunter of Mackin who had ridiculous hops. Saw him put on an absolute show plenty of times.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Best WCAC Basketball Team (All-Time)

11/4/2017 9:53:16 AM
@ps019364

Good call on Jo Jo Hunter. He was a showman and excellent. I thought he was can't miss in college, but ... 

You must login to report abuse. Close