Wilson Basketball Update?

5/20/2018 9:58:48 PM
smdeagles
5/20/2018 9:58:48 PM Report Abuse

Any update on the Washington Post article about the coach at Wison being suspended? He is a great coach and was doing an outstanding job at Wilson.....would hate to see anything happen to him. Does anyone know if the issues.....whatever they are....have been resolved?

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
DCPublic
5/21/2018 9:51:30 AM Report Abuse

Sounds like he's got players from out of Wilson's "zone". It does look like those Mitchell twins will be there. Who knows if they'll stay.

http://thewilsonbeacon.com/10851/sports/decorated-mitchell-twins-arrive-at-wilson/

smdeagles
5/23/2018 9:38:07 AM Report Abuse

I doubt they stay if he is not there.

tomslick88
5/23/2018 5:44:28 PM Report Abuse

Why would the twins risk a season trying to play in DC for Wilson? Makes no sense to me knowing the city aint BS'ing with the transfer stuff. An ivestigation takes about 6 months or so, and the season will be over. Somebody trippin'! 

smdeagles
5/24/2018 12:41:12 AM Report Abuse

I don't trust the city's ability to handle this well at all. 6 months? LOL......I know what the paper said but that would be crazy.

NewDC_Jon
5/25/2018 9:31:13 PM Report Abuse

The possible length of the investigation is to ensure that kids aren't wrongfully punished/accused. Everyone knows the coach/Mitch Gore (and the HC of the football program - that'll come out soon) are guilty of violations such as illegal recruiting and lying about kid's residences. That said, no one is positive which/how many kids shouldn't have been playing for Wilson. And it isn't just their hoops team. DCPS is looking into their football program too. I'm honestly shocked Gore has made it this long. Wilson athletics was far better off when he just cared about girls lacrosse and crew. 

macanthony1982
5/26/2018 9:01:48 PM Report Abuse

but Wilson has 1700 kids, so you mean to tell me that the school itself does not go through the registration process??   its not the duty of the coach, its the school itself..   if they register for the school and go as far as getting scheduled classes, how is that the coached fault

tomslick
5/27/2018 3:43:56 PM Report Abuse

I dont think the coaches should be help accountable either unless the parents of the student athlete says otherwise. But if not the coach, who? The AD? Dean of students? And how? 

NewDC_Jon
5/27/2018 11:36:08 PM Report Abuse

As I saw someone else write in WaPo: "Show me a coach who puts players on a court/field who they aren't 100% sure should be out there and I will show you a coach who shouldn't be on a sideline. The buck stops with the coach, period. It is the coach's job as much as it is the rest of the school administration's job to make sure the kids playing the sport are allowed to play." If you think otherwise, I feel for you. You clearly had poor role models as coaches and are unfit to coach others.   

smdeagles
5/27/2018 6:33:29 AM Report Abuse

Hmmmmmm. Just the past couple months hasn't Wilson won a basketball state championship, baseball state championship and track championship? The football team seems to underachieve but still makes it to the Turkey bowl most of the past few years. Wilson sports is currently as good as it has been in many years so not sue I follow your comments about the AD. A six month investigation will only hurt thr kids............as usual. Wilson's first football game is in 3 months with ptactice strting in 2 months. Whatever they do they need to do it soon.

NewDC_Jon
5/27/2018 11:33:08 PM Report Abuse

My comments only support your comments. He used to only care about the sport he coached (girls lax) and the sport that made Wilson further an outlier in the DCIAA (crew). Since he realized he couldn't coach girls lax and couldn't compete in crew he's started to cast a wider net. This is a long time in the running. It started w girls hoops about 8-10 years ago when everyone saw the writing on the wall w HD Woodson. 

Re: your comments about the six month investigation hurting the kids, hoops season is well over 6 months away. I am unsure why you referenced football as I didn't in regards to the investigation's length. 

Now to the rest of your comments - yep in the past couple months Wilson won a "state" basketball championship (which it turns out they cheated to win), a baseball "state" championship (in which the best baseball team in the "state" wasn't a participant and a sport they have always been dominant in btw) and a track "state" championship (in which the bast track programs in teh "state" couldn't participate because of graduations and other previous commitments). 

NewDC_Jon
5/28/2018 12:14:14 AM Report Abuse

SMD, please note: I don't think the DCIAA/DCSAA or whatever other acronym they are using can manage this investigation. They are incompetent as all hell. But the timeline they set forth isn't too unreasonable for a competent body. 

smdeagles
5/28/2018 10:39:12 AM Report Abuse

I think everyone that is paying attention to thid knows football is involved also.....which you did reference. I bring up six monthd because football season is upon us.....it would be unfair to the kids for this to drag on 6 months. Evven basketball summer league is impacted. If coaches are suspended and then found to be innocent....if that takes 6 months it will be a shame 

NewDC_Jon
5/28/2018 11:48:31 PM Report Abuse

SMD, let's not pretend for a second that Wilson's coaches are innocent here. They, Gore, Wilson's administration, and countless others are guilty. They've become the Bullis of the DCPS: sweeping scandals under the rug, readmitting former students over and over again, and looking the other way when it comes to admitting students who shouldn't be accepted in the first place. 

Frankly, having this investigation take six months will be a blessing for those Wilson coaches who are guilty as they will still collect a paycheck until they are canned. As for the students - if any are suspended without 100% proof of wrongdoing (knowingly or otherwise) I will take a different stance.

tomslick
5/29/2018 7:37:01 AM Report Abuse

Ive always said let the kids play until they find out.

NewDC_Jon
5/29/2018 11:27:39 PM Report Abuse

Tell that to the kids who lose to a team of ineligible players. The numbers bear it out - in DC the vast majority of investigations that are opened in these cases result in findings of players who shouldn't have been playing for the teams they are playing for. Now, I get it - there are some schools that look the other way when they find out their athletes are banging underaged women in cars on campus. And I understand that there are schools that allow athletes to transfer out and then back in a semeseter later just to stay eligible. And I also know that there are schools that allow athletes to produce racist videos and only act when there is massive public outcry. 

But the DCIAA is better than Bullis. And I applaud the DCIAA for being vigilant here. 

tomslick
5/30/2018 6:19:02 AM Report Abuse

Isnt this what they just did at Wilson? The kids in question played the season correct? Now go back and penalize, if its true, but let the kids get the film. Especially if its a residency issue. Let the admin/coaches know that they are under investigation and that if found guilty they will have to forfiet all the games the kids in question participated in along with any post season awards/accolades. 

Airforce1
5/29/2018 3:29:51 PM Report Abuse

@NEWDC_Jon

Make sure that your info is correct before you post because you don't know what you're talking about. Gore has done a great job with the athletics at Wilson. You sound like a coach that he might have fired. If all the kids on the basketball team are DC residents, how can that be cheating. You just upset that they beat 2 WCAC teams with DC kids. No disrespect but you're a idiot for your coments. Oh I forgot, this is a WCAC forum and not a DCPS

NewDC_Jon
5/29/2018 11:12:40 PM Report Abuse

Nah, I am a former director of a club sports program that banned Mitch from any and all practices and athletic events my program was involved in. It was actually a bit difficult as one of our sites was right across the street at Deal.

Now to your claim that I am an idiot for my comments - hilarious. I'm not upset Wilson got some wins. I would appluad them for it if they did it above-board. But they didn't. They cheated. And they did a bad job of covering their tracks. And before you go calling someone else an idiot learn how to throw together a cogent sentence. God, folks like you are the unfortunate poster children for what the DCPS is striving to get away from. Sad that you insist upon being their standard-bearers. 

NewDC_Jon
5/29/2018 11:19:32 PM Report Abuse

Oh, and to follow up on the "you sound like a coach that he might have fired": again laughable. For many years I actively worked to help him find coaches (and helped to pay their salaries). Those on this site who know who I am can confirm. But sweet comment. Way to back a cheater. 

Airforce1
5/30/2018 3:02:55 PM Report Abuse

Okay, I see you and Gore have history. Maybe you guys need to sit down and talk about you're diffrences. I spoke with someone that used to work at DCPS Cental office and they said that the AD's and the coaches don't have anything to do with enrolling students. 

New Comment

You must confirm your email to post in the forums.
You must login to report abuse. Close