DEMAND EXCELLENCE: ON AND OFF THE FIELD

3/3/2019 5:32:52 PM
TSFN 30865
3/3/2019 5:32:52 PM Report Abuse

My name is Jonathan Gess and I am a high school football coach in the state of Georgia at Eagle's Landing Christian Academy (ELCA). I have recently written a book about the struggle of pursuing the god of winning verse serving Jesus Christ whole heartedly. I did not write this as one that has it all figured out or am perfect, but one whose deep desire is to create a program that glorifies God but find myself struggling to not bow down this god of winning. As coaches, I think we all battle this god of winning. I wanted to share it in case anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Jonathan Gess. @ELCAFootball

https://books.litfirepublishing.com/product/demand-excellence-on-and-off-the-field/

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
cmiller
3/4/2019 11:18:36 AM Report Abuse

God of winning? What does that mean?

How does beating a team 77-0 teach anyone anything? Or 77-3. I've posted your complete schedule below to show that you probably need to reevaulate yourself. You should try and face some teams from the WCAC like SJC, Gonzaga, DeMatha or Good Counsel instead of these cupcakes in Georgia. 

August 17, 2018
Morrow (0) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (41) W

August 24, 2018
Pace Academy (17) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (16) L

August 31, 2018
Heritage Conyers (0) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (56) W

September 14, 2018
Holy Innocents (14) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (48) W

September 21, 2018
Trinity Christian (0) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (61) W

September 28, 2018
Wesleyan (0) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (63) W

October 5, 2018
Our Lady of Mercy (3) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (77) W

October 19, 2018
Strong Rock Christian (7) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (52) W

October 26, 2018
Mount Vernon (21) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (42) W

November 2, 2018
Landmark Christian (0) @ Eagle's Landing Christian (77) W
DCPublic
3/4/2019 11:24:18 AM Report Abuse

They'd probably compete for the WCAC lower division championship. 

sjc4life
3/4/2019 11:24:56 AM Report Abuse

Even Gonzaga could be beat this guy's team

lbaxter
3/4/2019 11:32:11 AM Report Abuse

I wonder what his position on high school football transfers is. Probably against it.

sjc4life
3/4/2019 11:38:01 AM Report Abuse

He demands excellence, so he's probably for it. Plus, you guys have one lucky game and you think your the best thing since sliced bread. 

lbaxter
3/4/2019 11:43:54 AM Report Abuse

It's spelled "you're", as in "you are".......

President Trump
3/4/2019 2:27:42 PM Report Abuse

Which lucky game would that be? The one where they beat an SJC team with players from all over the (not so continental) United States? Or the one where they beat a team that has been a perrenial HS football powerhouse on a last second hail mary? You have won one championship in how many decades? Only one despite year after year of coaches from this part of the country and players from that part of the country coming in? All I am saying is, yes, Gonzaga likely would beat this time. Just like they have beaten SJC the majority of times they have played. Just like they beat DM in the championship this year. A championship that gives them as many as SJC in a decade. A decade that didn't see gonzaga sacrificing their soul on the altar of under armour and kevin plank to buy a championship. Stings right? Well, probably not as much as losing to sidwell friends in the DCSAA... ouch...

sjc4life
3/4/2019 3:37:55 PM Report Abuse

If I were a gambling man, and I am, I would bet on SJC over Gonzaga over the next decade. The purple boys got lucky. The fumble....the hail mary. Luck. 

You'll see in 2019 Trump. I voted for you by the way. So I'll let the last comment slide. SAD!

President Trump
3/4/2019 3:52:12 PM Report Abuse

I'm not surprised you voted for me. I love the poorly educated. And they love me. And you'll let that last comment slide because you have no legitimate comeback for it because it was the greatest comment. a tremendous comment. I'd say having Georgetown Prep kick a kid who did not quite live up to their standards out of their school and SJC being willing to take him in (transfers? Oh my! Foreshadowing!) all just to have that young man go on to create one of the most successful sports apparell companies in history is luck; and then give "me"-like sums of money to that school to build their sham of a program into.... well  a sham of a program but one with talented transfers. But hey I don't believe in luck. Nor do I believe in transfers. That is why I am proposing we build a wall. A great wall. All around SJC. They aren't sending SJC their mathmaticians or scientists. They are sending linebackers, and quarterbacks and some, I'm sure, are good kickers. But my wall will stop all of that. It will stop it bigly.

sjc4life
3/4/2019 4:25:03 PM Report Abuse

Some people's trash is other people's treasure. You would know. 

We will see in again this spring in lacrosse and baseball. SJC will come out on top. 

President Trump
3/5/2019 12:29:53 PM Report Abuse

shoot i hope so. I mean, its not like it really matters in either of those. But you all need a win and need one bad considering how much you've paid for it...

BeltwayBob
3/5/2019 12:33:21 PM Report Abuse

Sad!

DeMathaPride
3/5/2019 7:30:37 AM Report Abuse

Eagles Landing has won 4 straight state titles. I'm pretty sure they can compete. 

New Comment

You must confirm your email to post in the forums.
You must login to report abuse. Close