MAPHL 2019-20

10/31/2019 11:59:02 AM
DMV Hockey Dad
10/31/2019 11:59:02 AM Report Abuse

New season kicked off with SJC beating Calvert Hall 7-1 last week. Gonzaga pulled out win despite finishing 5th and getting beat soudly by DeMatha 7-2 in WCAC semis.  I think we'll get a new champ this year and likely a 1st timer.  Prep, Landon, SJC, and DeMatha will all be tough.  St. Alban's has good top end talent.  O'Connell and Gonzaga will struggle a little in the middle of the conference.  Who you got this year? 

Here is coaches' poll from the Monumental site:

1. Gonzaga

2. St. John's

3. DeMatha

4. Landon

5. Bishop O'Connell

6. Spalding

7. Georgetown Prep

8. St. Albans

9. Mt. St. Joseph

10. Calvert Hall

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
lbaxter
11/2/2019 7:22:12 AM Report Abuse

The coaches vote for this poll? Thanks for the updates. Please continue to post here!

DMV Hockey Dad
11/2/2019 7:53:01 AM Report Abuse

Yorktown twitter said Spalding barely beat Yorktown last night. The post suggested many kids missing from both teams due to tournaments. Also said Yorktown is Playing SJC on Thursday. That game may be good barometer on the strength of many local teams as SJC beat Churchill 7-2. I always thought MSHL was better than the Virginia leagues, so that matchup may help answer that question. 

Has the first WP poll come out yet?  DMV Prospects poll is more accurate but any publicity for growing high school hockey scene is good. 

lbaxter
11/2/2019 9:41:00 PM Report Abuse

Haven't seen it yet. Please post the polls as they come out. I use to play for Gonzaga back in the day. I think they're much better now!

DMV Hockey Dad
11/8/2019 12:00:46 AM Report Abuse

MSJ beat DeMatha in a big upset.  Word is DeMatha lost some key players to injury. MSJ plays SJC in a non-league game on Veterans Day that may give us a better read on the season. MSJ lost to public power Marriotts Ridge.  Is Howard County the new power in MD public school hockey?  Montgomery County has struggled so far against the MAPHL.  

In other action, SJC barely beat DeMatha 6-5 and SJC has padded its record against Churchill (7-2), Wootton (13-0), MAPHL opponent Calvert Hall (7-1), and Yorktown (8-1) in the first couple of weeks. O'Connell beat up on Bishop Ireton, who plays in the weaker Virginia league, to the tune of a 7-0 score.  Gonzaga plays its intrasquad charity game tomorrow, so please head out to the Fort and support a good cause.

The IAC teams are still in Fall season, so we won't see them in action for a few weeks.  Anyone have insight on them.  I think Landon underacheived last year but will be reall tough this season.  Can't wait until the big games are played.   

TSFN 30887
11/20/2019 9:54:39 PM Report Abuse

Gonzaga 7-1 over DeMatha tonight as the Eagles beat up a short bench DeMatha in non league action. 

Landon won 5-2 over a week Wooten HS

Gtown Prep lost to Churchill 5-2

O'Connnell won it's 2nd MAPHL game 12-0 over Bullis

MSJ beat Calvert Hall on Monday 5-1 in MIAA

Hockey season is here

TSFN 30887
11/20/2019 10:06:44 PM Report Abuse

Correction

Prep won 5-2 IAC is good

DMV Hockey Dad
11/27/2019 2:28:17 PM Report Abuse

St Augustine from NJ came down to play SJC and O'Connell.  St. Augustine won 12-0 in 2017 but the gap has closed and they only won 5-3 this time.  In fact, SJC beat St. Augustine 6-2.  So DMV hockey is improving.  After some big early wins and a 4-2 comeback against Georgetown Prep, Gonzaga is coming back down to earth and lost to MSJ 3-2 and tied Archbishop Spalding 3-3.  Based on early season action, and not withstanding SJC's big start, I think St. Albans is a real x-factor this year and may be the MAPHL favorite. I don't think STA is going to stop anyone but they have a ton of high end scoring and a sophomore who may be the best player in league.     

DMV Hockey Dad
11/29/2019 9:15:50 AM Report Abuse

St Augustine beat O'Connell 12-0 in 2017.  Sorry for not being clear. 

Gonzaga is playing St Joseph's Prep in Philadelphia today. Will be a good preview of Purple Puck and we'll see if the DMV teams may have a chance of winning this year. Hopefully the St Augustine results shows the MAPHL has closed the gap with the mid-Atlantic schools in NJ and PA. 

DMV Hockey Dad
12/3/2019 11:42:42 AM Report Abuse

Post rankings are funny.  At least Churchill plays (and loses) to MAPHL teams.  Churchill has lost to Prep (5-2), SJC (7-2), and an undermanned DeMatha (3-0). It's ridiculous that two CSHL teams are in the top 10 and Langley is a lazy choice.  Broad Run or Yorktown would have been better.   Wooton?  Both Howard powers (Marriott's Ridge and Glenelg) would kill them and Wootom already lost to Quice Orchard and 13-0 to SJC.  STA and MSJ (who beat Gonzaga) are really tough teams that we should watch out for this year. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/03/ice-hockey-top-after-three-straight-maphl-titles-gonzaga-is-team-beat/  

Big games this week include O'Connell v Georgtown Prep, O'Connell v Yorktown, MSJ v Georgetown Prep, and Landon v Churchill.  Friday night at Medstar wil be a fun spot to watch as the O'Connell/Yorktown rivalry is spirited to say the least from when O'Connell played in the NVSHL.  

DMV Hockey Dad
12/17/2019 11:23:13 AM Report Abuse

Looks like the MAPHL picture is coming clear.  Prep, Landon, and SJC seem to be the teams to beat.  MSJ had two tough losses after starting with big wins against DeMatha and Gonzaga.  Surprised MSJ was not competitive against either Prep or Landon. Or are those programs that strong?  SJC barely beat Prep last Friday to go 4-0 in the the MAPHL but there doesn't seem to be a single, dominant team.  There are some big games this upcoming Friday before the holidays as Gonzaga plays SJC in a non-league game at Rockville and DeMatha plays O'Connell in a league game at Laurel.  If DeMatha loses, I think one of them or Spalding misses the playoffs.  Anyone know about the on-ice incident that cost Spalding a couple of wins against Bullis and Calvert Hall?  I heard some Spalding players got game misconducts but that's it. Looking forward to the new Washington Post rankings now that they have had a lot more games to look at.

DMV Hockey Dad
1/14/2020 12:12:41 PM Report Abuse

New post-holiday poll from the Washington Post.  SJC takes top spot because of Purple Puck win but Gonzaga and Georgetown Prep are right there.  Many key players have been missing games because of club commitments, but you can see the local picture come clearer.  It looks like the MAPHL will come down to the top 3 in the poll and Landon. Not sure how two CSHL teams are in Top 10, especially W-L who has lost in the league. Need to have a Howard County power in there. Battlefield vs Chantilly will be a great matchup.  I hope the big guns don't have club conflicts and can make that game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/14/ice-hockey-top-10-with-three-potential-d-i-players-st-johns-first-line-is-nightmare-opponents/ 

New Comment

You must confirm your email to post in the forums.
You must login to report abuse. Close