GU vs UMD

3/19/2010 7:04:33 AM
pbuckley
3/19/2010 7:04:33 AM Report Abuse

Something I've never quite understood about many of the regular posters on this site, which I am hoping someone can explain to me.

Unless you happen to go to one of the two schools, or have a vested interest in a rival school (like Syracuse or Duke), then why does rooting for GU or rooting for UMD have to be apparently mutually exclusive events?  They are both local teams. Why wouldn't the common local fan, i.e. the regular poster on this site, want both teams to do well? Does it hurt GU if UMD does well? No. Does it hurt UMD if GU does well? No. So why not wish them both well since they both represent the area?  I've never understood the vitriol that comes out at this time against the two schools.

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
gphoyas
3/19/2010 7:20:02 AM Report Abuse

hope this doesnt turn into which one is better but ill try and take a stab at this question- I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that both are big time programs playing at the highest levels of college basketball in the big east and acc. both schools covet the big time players coming out of dmv and baltimore area.  people in this area know people that go to both maryland and georgetown. the schools are opposite in almost every way.  maryland is a huge public school. georgetown is a small private school. maryland people tend to think of georgetown students as rich preppy kids in dc. georgetown people think route 1 is trash and that maryland kicks are stupid and like to cause riots.  Also since they never play, the feud has been building for quite some time

Spill
3/19/2010 9:17:34 AM Report Abuse

I am with you Pbuckley.  I was born and raised in College Park so I have been a Terps fan since day 1.  I have always cheered any other local team though and I do not get the rivalry.  I feel like this site has a more pronounced division of these schools than there overall though.  You may also have some of the old DeMatha guys who heard the stories from Coach Wootten about why he did not want his players going to G'Town, but that was an issue solely with John Thompson Jr. not G'Town as a school/team.

ONE9OH6
3/19/2010 10:00:17 AM Report Abuse

Solve it on the court, I say. Instead of Villanova in the BB&T Classic in December... have Navy, GW, Maryland and yes finally include Georgetown. As an incentive have some sort of "Battle of the Beltway trophy" for braggin rights.

coocookuhchoo
3/19/2010 11:16:11 AM Report Abuse

Pbuckley,

I am both a Maryland fan and student, and a GU hater.  There are a few reasons, most of them pretty petty.

1- There seem to be a lot of bandwagon GU fans when they are doing well.  Even if a team is local, it's still not cool to just hop on when the gettin is good.  People use the fact that it is local to excuse their band wagoning. 

2- When GU is doing well and UMD is doing poorly (picture a few years ago), we become the secondary team in the area.  I hate opening the sports page and seeing GU on the headline with a little UMD column on the side.

3- Obviously, they draw from the same pool of recruits than us, and generally fare much better with it.

4- They are in the big east, which I see as the only conference to regularly rival the ACC (clearly, big east was better this season, but I mean in general)  

I think settling it on the court is a great idea.  Maryland tried for years to get a little series going with them - one year play at verizon one year play at comcast, but JT3 wouldn't have it.  He didn't want to come to comcast. 

UnitedSkins
3/19/2010 11:32:51 AM Report Abuse

My biggest issue with Maryland is the way that Maryland fans try to demonize Georgetown's fanbase by calling them all bandwagon fans. I will admit that there are many more Georgetown fans now then there were before JT3 made them respectable again, but there are people such as myself who grew up watching Georgetown with my dad through the painful latter half of John Thompson's career and the even more painful Escherick years. Anyway, the reason that I take exception to the bandwagon comments is because when I went to grade school, no one gave a rat's ass about college basketball until Maryland was a title contender and then a million Maryland fans just popped out of the woodwork. I will not say all or even most, but there are certainly bandwagon Maryland fans as well.

Natsfan3
3/19/2010 11:49:36 AM Report Abuse

Georgetown will not play Maryland in the BB&T. Feinstein was on 980 2 days ago and confirmed this.

george92
3/19/2010 12:07:02 PM Report Abuse

They used to play an annual regular season game not in the BB&T.  My dad is a notre dame grad and is neutral and he said that Maryland always used to play Georgetown at home, but as Georgetown grew in stature on a national level they began to want Maryland to play at Georgetown every other year instead of always playing at Maryland. Maryland refused to play at Georgetown and this along with competing for the same recruits and proximity are the main factors in why the two schools have mostly exclusive fan bases.

MIlitaryRD
3/19/2010 12:18:19 PM Report Abuse

Your Dad is incorrect. Maryland and Georgetown has a Rivalry. Period. That's why a true maryland fan will never be a Georgetown fan asn Vice versus.

Renewed isn't the right word. Fact is, maryland Dropped off the map when Georgetown got good following Len Bias' death and the subsequent crap that maryland went through until Gary Williams Delivered us from evil. They played each other over 60 times in the course of the teams histories. Just because they are not in the same conference doesn't make them rivals. Look at Notre Dame and Michigan. Huge Rivals, but they have only played each other something like 50 times, and they've been playing football for over 100 years each.

zaga09
3/19/2010 12:50:40 PM Report Abuse

cooc,

you couldn't be more wrong. why would jt3 not agree to a game at comcast after one at verizon? maryland's out of conference schedule doesn't compare to georgetowns.  im not saying that jt3 is looking to schedule maryland because he's not- why would he? he's already winning the area for recruits and their ooc schedule is already stacked. but if he ever were to agree to a match he would certainly return the game, that's the only way either school would agree 

dmwoodrow
3/19/2010 1:26:44 PM Report Abuse

I don't know the stroy off the top of my hand but I think it goes a little something like this... Back in 1994-95 I think it was, UMD and G-town were scheduled a home-and-away with each other. Umd and G-town played first at US Air Arena, which was then G-town's home arena (like Verizon Center is now). G-town should have waxed UMD that game being that they were a much more superior team, but UMD ended up winning. To this day G-town has not returned the other end of that home-and-away, claiming it should be played on a "neutral" site like Verison Center... but wait, isn't Verison Center G-town's home arena? That's weird...

So claiming that JTIII would gladly play a game at Comcast is absurd.

I've grown up a UMD fan, and I currently go to UMD. So, basically, I have no love at for G-town. I will give them props when they earn it, but they haven't done anything recently that's noteworthy...

knights12
3/19/2010 1:29:10 PM Report Abuse

You can't like/root for both UMD and Georgetown for the same reason you can't like both the Yankees and the Mets, Knicks and the Nets, etc. In my opinion you have to pick one team or none. When one team does well it does not help the other. We are consistently battling for recruits and it does help the other team when the other does poorly. 

But they definitely need to play on a yearly basis. I know Gary wants to get 2 games at Comcast and 1 at Verizon but thats not going to happen. It also does seem a little unfair that we would only play at Verizon because that is Georgetown's home arena and they are more comfortable there then Maryland would be. I dont know how they could do it but they need to make it work.

dmwoodrow
3/19/2010 1:36:00 PM Report Abuse

They could alternate every other year... a game at Comcast and then the next year a game at Verison, or vice versa. It's sooo simple, but usually things this simple are never done the right way. And in this case, it seems like egos are the road block.

Spill
3/19/2010 2:06:19 PM Report Abuse

In 1993, a Joe Smith led Terps squad upset G'Town and that was the last time they played (outside of the 2001 NCAA tourney game).  G'Town called off the game in 1994 at Cole becuase they wanted more tickets for their fans, but the Terps would only allocate the standard amount for visting teams.  The Terps eventually offered more tickets, but nowhere near the number G'Town wanted.  It is true this was once a good rivalry but it has been such a long time, and given the stature of the two programs and the proximity they don't even compete for recruits as often as many people think. I would love to see them revive the rivalry, but you guys are trying to make something out of (currently) nothing on here.

ps019364
3/20/2010 11:50:28 PM Report Abuse

Spill,

They played last year early. Georgetown won by a lot but then fell apart later in the season. Root for both teams. Now that Gtown inexplicably had nothing the other day, rooting for the Terps. 

cadm
3/19/2010 2:21:56 PM Report Abuse

I think there are a lot of people who call themselves fans of each school, when in reality, they are just supporters of both schools. You can be a supporter of a local team without necessarily being a real fan of that team. I support both GTown and MD because they are local. I also support GTown because they have three players from the WCAC. I'm not necassarily a fan of either team, or any other team in college basketball for that matter. However, I do follow some local high school players and support the colleges the play for. 

MikeSellers45
3/19/2010 2:37:15 PM Report Abuse

I'm not a die hard college basketball fan but I root for both teams.  With G-Town out, all my focus will be on UMD.  I just like watching the games and thats why I love March Madness.

Chozen1
3/19/2010 3:13:16 PM Report Abuse

People from PG dont like people from Baltimore even though their both from Maryland. Dont know what and it doesnt have to make sense. UMD/GU is a rivalry and thats just the way it is. Like someone said earlier its public vs. private, its Georgetown vs. Route 1. Its collared shirts vs. plain ole t-shits. Thats just the way it is... 

DirtyThirty
3/19/2010 3:18:52 PM Report Abuse

Dmwoodrow, 

"I've grown up a UMD fan, and I currently go to UMD. So, basically, I have no love at for G-town. I will give them props when they earn it, but they haven't done anything recently that's noteworthy..."

What about going to the Final Four in 2007? Is that not noteworthy? And I don't understand the rivalry. Why can't someone be a fan of both teams? Every year I go to Maryland games when I can and I go to Georgetown games when I can. They are both top D1 schools in our area. Why not support and root for both of them? 

coocookuhchoo
3/19/2010 3:35:19 PM Report Abuse

I agree with cadm.  You can't be a true fan of either of the schools if you also support the other.  It's the same reason that people aren't (or shouldn't be) Redskins and Ravens fans.  Ultimately what happens when you have "dual fanship" is you support the team that is doing better that particular season.  I don't understand why people can't just pick a team and stick with it, or at least admit that you are a casual supporter at best.  

dmwoodrow
3/19/2010 3:45:50 PM Report Abuse

Yeah, going to the Final Four in 2007 is something worth noting. But G-town fans take that one inch and try to stretch it for miles, claiming G-town is an elite program again, that they now look down on UMD... BS.  Compared to UMDs resume from 2000-2010 (1 National Championship, 2 Final Fours, 2 Regular Season ACC Championships, and 1 ACC Tourney Championship, 2 ACC COY, 2 ACC POY) G-town is struggling to keep up with UMD.

Personally, I would take another decade like UMD just had over a decade of good recruits that underachieve... and that's what they are, underachievers, because they by all rights should be atleast in the elite 8 with the talent that they have.

dcirish35
3/19/2010 4:31:09 PM Report Abuse

Woodrow, you haven't paid much attention to Georgetown basketball lately. From 2000-2010, which included Craig Esherick as coach until 2004, Georgetowns resume includes: 1 Final Four, 2 Big East Reg. Season Championships (07 & 08) 1 Big East Tourney Championship (07) and 1 Big East POY (All of this in a bigger conference).  

My point is not to say one team or another is better--Maryland definitely had the more impressive decade. But how can you honestly look at that and say Georgetown is struggling to keep up with Maryland? Since JT3 came to Georgetown, the teams are at the very least on an even plane in terms of stature within the college basketball world.

Back to the main point of this...I grew up a huge Georgetown fan, through the rough years, and I'll be the first to admit I hated Maryland simply because they received all the attention from the Post, and the number of fans that seemed to suddenly appear in 2002.  I think MD fans have similar sentiments over what happened in 2007 with Georgetown--Its a lot easier to hate the other school when they're being successful as well and taking some of the attention away from your team.

knights12
3/19/2010 5:54:45 PM Report Abuse

Maryland has definitely had the better decade and if the Terps win tonight, that will give them 2 wins in the NCAA Tournament in the last 2 years. How many does Gtown have? 0.

Georgetown isnt struggling to keep up with UMD but the Terps are on a little bit of a higher level right now.

InZoltanWeTrust
3/19/2010 6:02:02 PM Report Abuse

You mean besides that fact Georgetown students and alumni are some of the most annoying college affilated fans ever?

MACInsider
3/19/2010 6:14:29 PM Report Abuse

I'm a big georgetown fan. Really don't have a problem with UMD whatsoever, I'll cheer for them in 90% of games. I have a problem with Maryland fans on this site but thats another story. The team I have no problem with. I hate plenty of teams - Cuse, UConn, Duke primarily. But I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to UMD.

stagslax32
3/20/2010 2:46:59 AM Report Abuse

I like both UMD and Gtown, but I'll be the first to express my hatrid for the ravens. I'm a skins fan, I've lived in MD all my life, and the ravens arent even in the NFC, but for some unexplained reason I HATE the baltimore ravens.

preprat
3/20/2010 9:03:07 AM Report Abuse

i love the redskins but hate the ravens

Gonzaga2011
3/20/2010 11:07:26 AM Report Abuse

I personally hate Maryland because I believe they have the most classless fans in the game.  Screaming F-you cheers to opposing players on nationally televised games.  Beating Duke and rioting.  Seriously act like you have been there before.  The other day the Junkies were talking about how the terps have the lowest graduation rate of any team in the tournament.

Gonzaga2011
3/20/2010 11:13:31 AM Report Abuse

Spill your wrong the season before this they played in that tournament at the disney complex in florida it was a really close game

Cadet04
3/20/2010 4:21:42 PM Report Abuse

They have the lowest 4-year graduation rate, not the lowest graduation rate. 

New Comment

You must confirm your email to post in the forums.
You must login to report abuse. Close