Elizabeth Seton High School (ESHS) announced this week David Bell as their Varsity Head Basketball Coach for the 2017-2018 season. Bell has an extensive playing and coaching background in the game of basketball. Most recently he was the Associate Head Varsity Girls Basketball Coach for St. Johns College High School in Chevy Chase, where he has been part of the coaching staff since 2009.
"I am hoping to bring a lot of energy and provide an environment where kids feel part of a family atmosphere," Bell said. "I'd like to continue Seton's tradition of being a contender in girls' basketball. The year I came into the WCAC, Seton won the championship," remarked Coach Bell. "Winning the WCAC and DC Championships has given me closure here and I'm very excited to begin a new journey, and to coach and lead a new team at another school."
Seton's Athletic Director Candy Cage is very excited to have Coach Bell on board. "I've had David Bell on my coaching radar for a long time. I've watched him work for several years and he impressed me tremendously. I always knew if we had a position open, he would be my top choice," said Cage. "I'm very excited to have someone of his caliber and resume on our coaching staff. His record at SJC speaks for itself. I know he's the coach to take the Roadrunners to the next level."
As an Assistant and Associate Head Coach at St. John’s, David has been a part of three WCAC Championship teams in 2011, 2013 and 2017, and has also won four DC State and City Championships in 2011, 2014, 2016 and 2017.
David has an extensive playing and coaching background in the game of basketball. He played his college basketball at Washington College (MD) where he had career averages of 9 points and 4 rebounds per game.
Coach Bell Resume:
St. John’s College High School
- Lead Varsity Assistant Coach for the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 seasons. Team in 2015-2016 finished with a 26-7 overall record and also won the DC State Title and the 2016-2017 team won the WCAC Championship and the DC State Title games.
- Head JV Coach (2011-2015) with an overall record of 70-21.
- Two consecutive JV Tournament Championships (2011-2012 and 2012-2013), and two WCAC JV regular season titles (2011 and 2013).
- Have been a part of six WCAC Varsity Championship game appearances, including four straight from 2009-2013 and two straight from 2015-2017 . We won three of the total six championship games.
- Coached numerous players who have gone on to play Division 1 basketball, as well as players who went on to play at the D2 and D3 collegiate levels. Five of those players have gone on to play at top academic schools in the Ivy League and Patriot League.
- Coached one McDonald’s All-American (Lindsay Allen at Notre Dame) and U17 Team USA player.
- Coached numerous players who were All-Met 1st and 2nd team as well as 1st, 2nd and 3rd team All-WCAC performers.
- Part of a coaching staff whose program finished nationally ranked in the top 10 in two different seasons including #3 in MaxPreps and #6 in USA Today in 2013 and #2 in USA Today and #3 in MaxPreps in 2017.
Pittsford Mendon High School (NY) 2001-2003
- Assistant Varsity Boys’ Basketball Coach.
- Team won the section class BB title and went all the way to the state regional semi-finals in 2003.
- Coached one player who made the All Greater Rochester 1st team.
- Coach numerous players who went on to play college basketball at top academic schools.